Always Something

Help Support CattleToday:

i had one calve up on a pond bank back 25 years ago. Cow stood up baby slid righ out and head first down the bank into the dang pond. I ran over to try to get to the calf hit the afterbirth both feet flew out from under me I ended up in the pond right next to the calf. Got the calf out and back to her momma. I was sore for a week after that fiasc.

Had a heifer calved in a newly formed pond from spring's extra water. Came just in time, when the calf was just born and holding it's head over the water. It was muddy and water around, so had some work to pull that calf out of the water. Not a small calf either.
Another time had a heifer (again) calve in a very bad position. She lied down in such position where her head was lower than her butt and her back was facing down. She did calve a big calf alive, but she had an uterine prolapse, then got bloated and died. Unfortunatelly, found her too late.

Woah, CB, I was not expecting that kind of follow up! Dang, I'm sorry! How's your new bottle calf?
I gave her to a lady from church. She has milk goats and sells milk and cheeses.
When we get an orphan we call her, she raises the calves on goat milk. The lady grows off some fine bottle calves. She freezes her excess goat milk all year long for calves she picks up.

Had 4 newborns when I fed today. I drove over to the mother cows and gave them each a click out of the cube box then drove a little ways off to unroll a few rolls while the rest of the herd was still at the feed troughs. 2 of the little knucklehead calves thought it would be a good idea to walk over and get between the bale arms and the bed when I was unloading the first bale. Luckily I saw them and sent them on their way. When got back in truck to unroll they was in that same spot again. Luckily I noticed them in the mirror or it would've been crunch time. Gotta stay on the look out this time of year.

Not this one.
that sucks, sorry. sometimes a line turns real unlucky for no apparent reason, have you ever seen that? had a real good cow I liked a lot but when I looked back on her records, most of her heifers ended up having something go wrong at some point. nothing singular that I could point at just unlucky things.

that sucks, sorry. sometimes a line turns real unlucky for no apparent reason, have you ever seen that? had a real good cow I liked a lot but when I looked back on her records, most of her heifers ended up having something go wrong at some point. nothing singular that I could point at just unlucky things.
It's part of the game we play.
Can't loose them if don't have them.
I haven't had a prolapse in over a decade in my herd.
This was something unusual after nearly two days to prolapse. Me and the vet are going to discuss this one over a cup of coffee.

It's part of the game we play.
Can't loose them if don't have them.
I haven't had a prolapse in over a decade in my herd.
This was something unusual after nearly two days to prolapse. Me and the vet are going to discuss this one over a cup of coffee.
keep us updated, I have never seen that either. could there have been a twin or something stuck in theremaking her push? did she clean out first?

keep us updated, I have never seen that either. could there have been a twin or something stuck in theremaking her push? did she clean out first?
She did and I saw her eat the afterbirth. If there was a twin that came later I haven't found a corpse. As bad as she prolapsed the calf couldn't be in her.

Had to euthanize the cow she prolapsed this morning.
That's the new one on me, never had one prolapse nearly two days after calving.
I had one do that a couple days before calving. The vet got it back in, and sowed her up. I had to watch her close and just before she calved I had to cut the string, and after she calve give her a shot to shrink it up. Ended up taking back to vet and he tied her up. She went to the sale last December along with my open cows, sold as a weigh up.

I had one do that a couple days before calving. The vet got it back in, and sowed her up. I had to watch her close and just before she calved I had to cut the string, and after she calve give her a shot to shrink it up. Ended up taking back to vet and he tied her up. She went to the sale last December along with my open cows, sold as a weigh up.
CB is talking about a uterine prolapse, not vaginal.

CB,

Don't mean to steal your thread. Had a heifer uterine prolapse. Vet put her back together. Said if she healed right would be fine and wouldn't likely happen again. She raised the calf but apparently had nerve damage. Just wasn't right. Sold her as a weigh up after the calf was weaned.

My 2 cents.

CB,

Don't mean to steal your thread. Had a heifer uterine prolapse. Vet put her back together. Said if she healed right would be fine and wouldn't likely happen again. She raised the calf but apparently had nerve damage. Just wasn't right. Sold her as a weigh up after the calf was weaned.

My 2 cents.
I have put them back before as well. While penned I had two veteran cattlemen come look at her. All of us couldn't figure out how she was still alive much less get it back in without rupturing arteries.

Latest posts