Alternative to PVC for watering systems?

Help Support CattleToday:

jdg

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
157
Reaction score
4
Location
south GA
I'm about to run about 10,000 feet of pipe to install a cattle water system on a large farm. Has anyone used anything besides PVC for underground applications? I'm in south GA, so the ground doesn't freeze. In order to carry the volume and pressure from the well, I will start with a pipe diameter around 2.5".
 

JMJ Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,812
Reaction score
24
Location
Middle Georgia
sstterry":2ev0iqrw said:
Have you considered Pex?

That was my first thought until I read “start off with 2.5 inch”. I’ve never seen pex that big but they may make it. Idk. If so I would recommend it. Pex is good stuff. Black pipe will last a long time. You can get it in 2.5”. FWIW, last time I ran a water line (2700 ft) pvc was only about $40 different than black pipe. So I went ahead and went with schedule 40 PVC. Other than those two options I don’t know of any others.
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,522
Reaction score
318
Location
Central Texas
I take it it’s 10,000 ft of line, not a 10,000 ft run.?

I’ve got a 2300 ft line in 3/4 pvc that waters cattle just fine. Course well and water trough are about the same elevation.
 

bball

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2015
Messages
3,483
Reaction score
3
Location
Indiana
JMJ Farms":1gnq9po4 said:
sstterry":1gnq9po4 said:
Have you considered Pex?

That was my first thought until I read “start off with 2.5 inch”. I’ve never seen pex that big but they may make it. Idk. If so I would recommend it. Pex is good stuff. Black pipe will last a long time. You can get it in 2.5”. FWIW, last time I ran a water line (2700 ft) pvc was only about $40 different than black pipe. So I went ahead and went with schedule 40 PVC. Other than those two options I don’t know of any others.

Polyethylene (black pipe) vs. PVC, id go with PVC, good primer and glue. Cost diff is minmal as JMJ pointed out. Cant think of a cheaper way to go in that size.
I use the PE to sleeve my underground wires at gate openings. It'll do.
 

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Joined
Jul 8, 2017
Messages
4,749
Reaction score
1,602
Location
Bulls Gap, TN
bball":fu666o7l said:
JMJ Farms":fu666o7l said:
sstterry":fu666o7l said:
Have you considered Pex?

That was my first thought until I read “start off with 2.5 inch”. I’ve never seen pex that big but they may make it. Idk. If so I would recommend it. Pex is good stuff. Black pipe will last a long time. You can get it in 2.5”. FWIW, last time I ran a water line (2700 ft) pvc was only about $40 different than black pipe. So I went ahead and went with schedule 40 PVC. Other than those two options I don’t know of any others.

Polyethylene (black pipe) vs. PVC, id go with PVC, good primer and glue. Cost diff is minmal as JMJ pointed out. Cant think of a cheaper way to go in that size.
I use the PE to sleeve my underground wires at gate openings. It'll do.

My only concern with PVC is over a span of 10,000 ft, that is a lot of joints and places where it could be susceptible to failure. Not even counting for all the additional labor.
 

plumber_greg

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
1,392
Reaction score
6
Location
NW Missouri
Use gasketed pvc. If you try to glue that much pipe, you will have problems eventually.
Gasketed has it's own set of specs however. gs
 

JMJ Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,812
Reaction score
24
Location
Middle Georgia
plumber_greg":16v4ra3g said:
Use gasketed pvc. If you try to glue that much pipe, you will have problems eventually.
Gasketed has it's own set of specs however. gs

That is a good idea. I’m guessing it’s not cheap. But it should hold up real good.

sstterry":16v4ra3g said:
My only concern with PVC is over a span of 10,000 ft, that is a lot of joints and places where it could be susceptible to failure. Not even counting for all the additional labor.

Good point. I spend at least a couple of hours a week fixing pvc water lines on one farm or another where they have either broken or come loose. Some of them are old and they were glued with blue glue when originally installed and some of them weren’t installed deep enough by the original installer.
 

ddd75

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2015
Messages
2,433
Reaction score
1
Location
KY
i'd never use pvc or gasketed pvc for water. way too many joints.

neighbor put a bunch of that gasketed pvc in and had 2 leaks the first winter. got those fixed, that summer a few more..

i've always used the black rolls. I always get the biggest possible and use plastic fittings.
 

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
3,342
Reaction score
1,541
Location
BC Peace River country
Texas PaPaw":10zwzdbm said:
I use black hdpe pipe. Never used 2.5" but have seen rolls of pretty big hdpe. Will be fewer joints than pvc so less leak potential.

Google is your friend.

Here's a link for some 2":

https://www.ewingirrigation.com/2-sdr-1 ... pipe-ips-1

HDPE would be great, a guy could likely rent a welder for it, then there would be no joints. That’s tough stuff, and the strongest part of it is the welds. They put miles of it together up here to pump water for fracs.
 

plumber_greg

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
1,392
Reaction score
6
Location
NW Missouri
ddd75":1wsqkpl9 said:
i'd never use pvc or gasketed pvc for water. way too many joints.

neighbor put a bunch of that gasketed pvc in and had 2 leaks the first winter. got those fixed, that summer a few more..

i've always used the black rolls. I always get the biggest possible and use plastic fittings.
I can see that happening to the uninformed. Can be gotten in 40' lengths. If someone doesn't know what they are doing, they better find out or find someone that does.
Word of caution on plastic fittings for rolled pipe. If say a coupling or a 90 is not exactly, exactly in line, they will eventually crack and split.
Fixed way too many plastic insert fittings over the years. Stopped using them in the early 90s after fixing too many put in 10 years prior.
Brass is more expensive, but what do leaks cost later on. Have NEVER fixed a brass insert fitting unless something happened to the clamp. gs
 
OP
jdg

jdg

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
157
Reaction score
4
Location
south GA
Thanks for all the rec's guys. My longest run will be around 4000', but there will be multiple watering stations off of it, potentially watering two different groups at a time, with tanks not so big that i could get away with 3/4". (some of the tanks will be portable, some permanent) I"ve done the math on my pumping unit and gallons per minute requirements for the herd size, which is why I know i'll need to start the longest run at 2.5". (I did the calculations for PVC...not sure if HDPE has a different flow rating, probably does.) I was concerned with pricing, labor costs, and repair issues. I was talked into using thin wall PVC for a previous project by a contractor i hired and it has been a nightmare. Lesson learned. Can the HDPE be put down with a shank type machine, or will i still need to dig a trench? I've never heard of gasketed PVC. The link to the 2" HDPE was twice as expensive as my price for PVC. So, I'm not sure that is feasible. I believe i was quoted around $.87/ft for 2"...unfortunately 2.5" was around $1.20/ft, if memory serves.
 

Ebenezer

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2015
Messages
2,051
Reaction score
16
Location
Piedmont of SC
Gasketed PVC is a common product. Put a crew to install that know what they are doing and you will not have problems and it goes quickly. They can keep up with a midsized trencher. We have 7000'+ and no leaks in decades. Only leaks have been glue joints where somebody other than the A team plumbed the troughs. But also use thrust blocks on ends, turns and tees. With that amount of pipe you should be able to get great prices on large lots. Call around as there are $100s to save on buying pipe. Black pipe with internal fittings has much lower flow rates. Depending on the size of the troughs/waterers, # of cattle, it is not a great idea to uniformly go to 3/4" pipe to troughs as there is a low flow rate (memory 5 -7 gpm range ) versus 12 to 15 gpm on 1" SCH40. On a hot day and many cows the 3/4" will not keep up.
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
2,034
Reaction score
147
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
jdg":2j6n4sur said:
Thanks for all the rec's guys. My longest run will be around 4000', but there will be multiple watering stations off of it, potentially watering two different groups at a time, with tanks not so big that i could get away with 3/4". (some of the tanks will be portable, some permanent) I"ve done the math on my pumping unit and gallons per minute requirements for the herd size, which is why I know i'll need to start the longest run at 2.5". (I did the calculations for PVC...not sure if HDPE has a different flow rating, probably does.) I was concerned with pricing, labor costs, and repair issues. I was talked into using thin wall PVC for a previous project by a contractor i hired and it has been a nightmare. Lesson learned. Can the HDPE be put down with a shank type machine, or will i still need to dig a trench? I've never heard of gasketed PVC. The link to the 2" HDPE was twice as expensive as my price for PVC. So, I'm not sure that is feasible. I believe i was quoted around $.87/ft for 2"...unfortunately 2.5" was around $1.20/ft, if memory serves.
Is my math off? I'm seeing .35 cents/foot for the 2" HDPE.
 

backhoeboogie

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
14,984
Reaction score
28
Location
Texas
ddd75":284feuvu said:
i'd never use pvc or gasketed pvc for water. way too many joints.

neighbor put a bunch of that gasketed pvc in and had 2 leaks the first winter. got those fixed, that summer a few more..

i've always used the black rolls. I always get the biggest possible and use plastic fittings.

Good idea. Pressure is not the issue. Close it all up and the pressure will be equal. Flow I what your challenge. Rolls have less couplings and therefore less K factors. Never cut it with a saw. Use a pipe or tube cutter to get squared ends which reduce K factors. Keep the pipe straight as possible. You can put a pressure tank on the delivery end and that will help if your demand is not extreme.
 
OP
jdg

jdg

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
157
Reaction score
4
Location
south GA
M.Magis":2kmplaww said:
jdg":2kmplaww said:
Thanks for all the rec's guys. My longest run will be around 4000', but there will be multiple watering stations off of it, potentially watering two different groups at a time, with tanks not so big that i could get away with 3/4". (some of the tanks will be portable, some permanent) I"ve done the math on my pumping unit and gallons per minute requirements for the herd size, which is why I know i'll need to start the longest run at 2.5". (I did the calculations for PVC...not sure if HDPE has a different flow rating, probably does.) I was concerned with pricing, labor costs, and repair issues. I was talked into using thin wall PVC for a previous project by a contractor i hired and it has been a nightmare. Lesson learned. Can the HDPE be put down with a shank type machine, or will i still need to dig a trench? I've never heard of gasketed PVC. The link to the 2" HDPE was twice as expensive as my price for PVC. So, I'm not sure that is feasible. I believe i was quoted around $.87/ft for 2"...unfortunately 2.5" was around $1.20/ft, if memory serves.
Is my math off? I'm seeing .35 cents/foot for the 2" HDPE.
Not sure why, but they list that price as 100' increments...not 500' rolls.
 

ddd75

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2015
Messages
2,433
Reaction score
1
Location
KY
jdg":235p7e2f said:
Thanks for all the rec's guys. My longest run will be around 4000', but there will be multiple watering stations off of it, potentially watering two different groups at a time, with tanks not so big that i could get away with 3/4". (some of the tanks will be portable, some permanent) I"ve done the math on my pumping unit and gallons per minute requirements for the herd size, which is why I know i'll need to start the longest run at 2.5". (I did the calculations for PVC...not sure if HDPE has a different flow rating, probably does.) I was concerned with pricing, labor costs, and repair issues. I was talked into using thin wall PVC for a previous project by a contractor i hired and it has been a nightmare. Lesson learned. Can the HDPE be put down with a shank type machine, or will i still need to dig a trench? I've never heard of gasketed PVC. The link to the 2" HDPE was twice as expensive as my price for PVC. So, I'm not sure that is feasible. I believe i was quoted around $.87/ft for 2"...unfortunately 2.5" was around $1.20/ft, if memory serves.


the pipe on that website is very expensive. I would call around to a local plumbing supply store and tell them what you need.
 

Latest posts

Top