Alternative Stock on craigslist

Help Support CattleToday:

Donkeys are in the same category. They are free. Been thinking of getting a donkey and sell the cows and go prospecting for gold.

Rafter S":frrtf1e0 said:
wacocowboy":frrtf1e0 said:
For one female cow I better get all 5 that he has plus some cash.

I wouldn't trade the worst cow I ever owned for a dozen emus.

Yeah I would rather give me cash and he can keep the emus they would be something else to feed.

You may love him and he may be worth a fortune to you but try to sell him and you're wasting your time. You'll be lucky to be able to give him away. Just no market for them. Really there has never been much of a market for jacks. When Jennies were selling for $150 a jack would bring $20.

LauraleesFarm":q8qyd71q said:
The salebarns around here wont allow donkeys to run through any more. They won't even bring enough to pay the minimum $5 fee.

Last one i saw go through brought $2.50. :lol2: Didnt even pay for the guys gas to take him.

Depending on time of year.we run a herd of 50 ,to 100 Barbados sheep. Almost all rams.My uncle runs about 300. The market for them here is high fenced hunting resorts. We actually have a monthly auction barn that caters to this market. Deer,elk ,zebra,African antelope,exotic sheep etc. We buy young rams at commercial auction as slaughter lambs and turn them out . It takes 2 to 3 years for them to reach shooter or trophy status. The last bunch I sold averaged out about 450 I think I had about 50 a head and 3 years in them. We don't feed them nothing, they will eat anything except the fence. Only real problem is keeping coyote out of them.My uncle s been doing this about 25 years, I've been doing it about 10.The hunting resorts have order buyers. Some actually don't buy until they have a hunt booked.it's amazing to me what some people will spend money on.

A lady friend of mine bought a place from two older gals who raised llamas back when they were worth something. My friend got a great deal on the place but had to give the old gals a life time estate to live in one of the houses on the property. She also gave them grazing rights for their worthless llamas. As soon as the deal closed and the old gals had some money they went out and bought two miniature donkeys. I asked my friend what happens to the llamas and the donkeys when the old gals pass. She said they will be on a truck to the very next sale and if she has to pay to sell them that would be fine. The other option is a backhoe to dig a fairly good sized hole. Gas and commission at the sale is probably cheaper then hiring the backhoe.

fenceman":1dh72e0w said:
Depending on time of year.we run a herd of 50 ,to 100 Barbados sheep. Almost all rams.My uncle runs about 300. The market for them here is high fenced hunting resorts. We actually have a monthly auction barn that caters to this market. Deer,elk ,zebra,African antelope,exotic sheep etc. We buy young rams at commercial auction as slaughter lambs and turn them out . It takes 2 to 3 years for them to reach shooter or trophy status. The last bunch I sold averaged out about 450 I think I had about 50 a head and 3 years in them. We don't feed them nothing, they will eat anything except the fence. Only real problem is keeping coyote out of them.My uncle s been doing this about 25 years, I've been doing it about 10.The hunting resorts have order buyers. Some actually don't buy until they have a hunt booked.it's amazing to me what some people will spend money on.
Use to know an old boy that was a buyer for the King Ranch.....hunter sign up for a world class ram, wirte a big a$$ check and it was his job to go where ever he had to go, buy the ram and get it back to the ranch. I guess they turned it loose in front of the hunter and let him shoot him....pics, smiles and a great mount. The great white hunter. :bs: Did this for all kinds of "trophies". :yuck:

TexasBred":26gm9q8n said:
fenceman":26gm9q8n said:
Use to know an old boy that was a buyer for the King Ranch.....hunter sign up for a world class ram, wirte a big a$$ check and it was his job to go where ever he had to go, buy the ram and get it back to the ranch. I guess they turned it loose in front of the hunter and let him shoot him....pics, smiles and a great mount. The great white hunter. :bs: Did this for all kinds of "trophies". :yuck:
Watch them removing the scrapies tags as they load them in the trailer all the time. Cant be shooting wild sheep with tags.

Why not eliminate the middleman and just let the city hunters shoot them in your loading pens, drag the carcass off to the side in front of their pickup for the picture taking part and then haul the carcass to the taxidermists?

One guy I know in Iowa is a kill buyer for sheep but he sells rams that look good to hunting ranches. He tags all his sheep before he sells them. He sold a ram to a hunting ranch in Tennessee. One day he was in the office of the guy who sells him insurance and noticed the trophy ram on the wall in the office still had his in its ear. Turns out the insurance man spent 1400 dollars to go shoot the thing in Tennessee that he had sold the ranch for $150. My buddy said next time he would just let him shoot any one he wanted in the pasture there in Iowa and only charge him 500 plus he wouldn't have travel costs.

greybeard":3g6v1ic7 said:
Why not eliminate the middleman and just let the city hunters shoot them in your loading pens, drag the carcass off to the side in front of their pickup for the picture taking part and then haul the carcass to the taxidermists?
Pretty close to what they're already doing GB. Some will also just call a ranch and order a couple of this and that. Ranch personnel will kill the animals, skin them, and either deliver or ship the "trophy" to the dude that ordered it.

Rafter S":38qyyjes said:
Here's some more alternative stock. Potbelly pigs, if anyone is interested.

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/grd/5781500061.html

"Selling a black female and a blue male pig very sweet the female has been bred back we just sold her piglets asking $75 each or best offer thanks "

By very sweet, I wonder if they mean disposition or taste?
As Korean BBQ..

Latest posts