Almost Fainted

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I am close like bark on a tree when it comes to parting with a dollar bill.
I haven't spent a dime on the cows other than hay and the cost of fuel all winter.
I decided to rebuild some old fence here and went and bought a 100 t-post, dang things were 3.75 a piece.
I didn't even price barbed wire as I have a half dozen rolls in the barn I was to scared after the post price.

A week ago I saw a guy pay 3 bucks a piece for used bent 6 footers. Too rich for my blood. But there had to be at least 2 people that wanted them to jack the price that high.

dun":3dun89tf said:
A week ago I saw a guy pay 3 bucks a piece for used bent 6 footers. Too rich for my blood. But there had to be at least 2 people that wanted them to jack the price that high.

I like having a couple hundred t-post and wooden on hand at all times, like after Rita you couldn't find post or wire as everyone had bought it out repairing there places. The post I relaced I had bought some of them for 99 cents, wished I had bought a 1000 of them now.

If you had a 1000 of them you'ld another 100 anyway. I alwasy keep a pile of them and it seems I'm alwasy a couple of bundles short no matter how well I plan it.

Thats no lie :lol: If I wasn't half buzzard I would be scared to death to see operating cost.
I got all the treated timbers 4"x 10" and the pipe from the old bridge they tore out.
I have treated corner post for years. They broke some of the timbers tearing out the bridge with a track hoe. I squared all of them off and have 6' to 12' footers I did get one 16' footer out of it.
Still have a pile of telephone poles from Rita.

All our steel, not to mention all other metals, is going over seas for the production of the products we buy at what was supposed to be cheap. Trade agreements made by our politicians looked good at the time but are now coming back to haunt us.
Don't through out that old junk anymore, you can probably get more than you paid for it at the scrap yard.

yes fence posts are as high as catsback.an like you when i buy post i get 50 to 100 at a time.an its a big ouch on the hippocket.barbed wire is still $45 a roll.so thats not out of sight yet.

330 foot roll of goat fence cost $218 from the feed store and $229 from TSC. My neighbor at the house has 11 dogs. When I moved the sick cow to the house with her calf. I sprung for a roll after dreading it for a whole day. That hurt. That really hurt. Wound up using cattle panels for part of the pen I put together.

The neighbor had to gall to say something about the pen. I told her it would probably have been cheaper for me to build her a pen to keep her dogs in. I then told her, "Look, I have taken these measures and done the best I can. If I see your dogs anywhere in there, that's it. Sorry"

Latest posts