alligater rivet tool for splicing round bale belt

Help Support CattleToday:

MasseyFerg

Reaction score
am looking at alligater 7" rivet tool. kind of expensive for just a piece of steel and a clamp. can I make one out of a piece of steel plate and a clamp to hold the belt tight? i could weld two pieces of all thread on the plate, then use a piece of flat stock to clamp the belt.

Is there cutouts in the bottom of the plate to hold the fastener or is it just flat on the bottom. anything special about this tool? anybody use one or got any pixs.

thank you

When splicing belt I use the lace type, and I borrow a machine to help.

It is hard to tell from a picture what is involved in the Alligator type

The rivet tool has holes spaced for the nails in the rivets to go through and has pins to line up the alligator clip with the holes and hold it in place. It also has pins or stops to set the depth of the belt inside the clip. I believe you can make one, but I you would be much better off just to buy it. I gave what seems like $120.00 for mine and if I figure my time is worth anything I think it was fairly cheap. Be prepared to spend about $25 a splice to do a 7" belt. But it will hold at least ten times longer than the hog ringer laces.

thanks

How are you supposed to do it with the belt on the baler as they advertise? do you just partially unthread part of it, and lay it on a wood block on the ground or beat against the front baler frame or what.

thanks

MasseyFerg":8gxhmjl7 said:
thanks

How are you supposed to do it with the belt on the baler as they advertise? do you just partially unthread part of it, and lay it on a wood block on the ground or beat against the front baler frame or what.

thanks

I carry spare belts. I've never had one break and stay in the baler unless it was wound up in something.

I ain't never had one break but have some that need the splices replaced because they are getting wore down. the advertisement said, splice it on the baler and I don't see how you could

Latest posts