Allergy

Help Support CattleToday:

Kay

Reaction score
I have a 7 year old bred hereford cow that is coughing once and awhile and labored breathing,had the vet out,no temp,no snotty nose,eats good poops good.Stays with the rest of herd,doesnt seem sick except breathing and coughing.Vet says allergies wants me 2 give her antihistamine 25 cc daily until she calves.Witch is not until April! Is there anything else that can be done instead of the shots? She is up 2 date on vaccinations and was dewormed in October.Gave her 3 days of the antihistamine and doesnt seem 2 make any difference.Any suggestions?

So whats that suppose to mean that I should not worry about it,or do u mean that I'm neglecting my animal.I take real good care of my animals.She sounds like she has asthma and I know how that feels.I had the vet out because I'm concerned for her and baby...

Benign neglect is keeping an eye on the situation but not doing anything. If it actually gets serious then intervene.

could be some permanent lung damage from a prior cold. Ignore like the rest say, unless it worsens.

4th benign neglect. If its really bothering you try
Changing her location/feed (esp hay).to see if you can remove the allergen shes reacting to.

Take her to a dry climate like say...Arizona...for the winter.

Try different feed. Make sure it's not dusty or moldy. Moving where you feed bales is also a good thing if you can. Make sure she has clean water available. Otherwise just watch her and make sure she doesn't get worse.

Latest posts