All the signs but the mucus

Help Support CattleToday:

dburkhart

Reaction score
Just wondering what the percentage of heifers actually have discharge prior to birthing their first calf? I have a heifer that is bagged up and vulva is very loose. She had a little discharge a week ago. Bag filled up a couple of days ago. No birth yet.

Means nothing really. Is just one sign, one indicator.
As I have said, as others have said, feet out the back is the only sure bet.

Good Luck!

You are close. Some cows just don't pass mucus prior to birth, others will pass for 10+ days prior to birth. Some cows get really loose prior to birth, some only slightly. Some cows bag up several days or a couple weeks prior to calving, some don't bag up until the day of.

I guess what I am trying to say is, you are close, but hard to say how close. Probably within a few days. Watch her behavior, and that could be a sign it is coming. I have also seen cows appear as if they cannot take a full stride while walking a day or two prior to calving.

You are close, like someone said before, hard to tell how close, especially with heifers. the way you describe I would say no more than a few days but like I said,...heifers. And I cant see a picture of her. Anyway, the important thing is you are close. When I see one close I get up and check her every four hours (minimum) during the night as well. It sucks, but it's part of the job.

Update--

Went out this morning and found an 8" strand of mucus--finally! One teat sticking out sideways--all others hanging down. Guess time will tell.

dburkhart":ma78ngyv said:
Update--

Went out this morning and found an 8" strand of mucus--finally! One teat sticking out sideways--all others hanging down. Guess time will tell.

Is it possible that the 8" mucus is the cervical plug and she is still two weeks or so away from her due date? I have a cow that released her plug about 6 days ago and still counting. She is not due until the 21st.

grubbie":1jtoenp2 said:
When I see one close I get up and check her every four hours (minimum) during the night as well. It sucks, but it's part of the job.

Good grief Charlie Brown, don't start these folks out that way. Let them get some sleep. Only check after going to bed if your instinct tells you something is not right.

Bravo! :banana:
Soon it will be my turn to celebrate new babies :nod:
Good for you and good for heifer!

Latest posts