All Simmental People

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_telly_369

Reaction score
Could all Simmental people tell me about their ranches and simmentals. I'm going to be buying some simmentals and just want to hear from other people.

Simmental is a good choice with lots of marketing options. We raise primarily black purebreds that are moderate frame, easy fleshing cattle that can get along okay on the rock and cedar of our part of Texas. We select for disposition, confirmation, good udders, calving ease, growth, in that order. We market prospect heifers to jrs, females to other breeders and our good bulls to commercial breeders. We also produce some simangus since there is a strong demand in our area for this kind of bull. If you are interested, you can find out more about our cattle at http://www.possumtrotranch.com.

We started out with traditional Simmentals many years ago. We now have black. Most of the cows we have we bought to replace the traditional cows that have died off. We AI the yearlings and breed the cows to our Simmental bull. The bull we bought from a farm in NJ. We show and sell a few. Ours are moderate framed. We just had the champion and reserve champion at our fair last week. The champion we bought and maybe show again in January.

I'm also in central Texas, and we've had Simmentals for over 20 years now, along with reg. Brahmans. We primarily sell replacement heifers (a lot of them 1/2 x 1/2's) and a few show calves as well. I also show a few myself.

We still have some of the traditional spotted cows, although they are getting up in age now. They are really good momma cows, and milk better than most. We have some blacks, but I'm working towards a predominant red herd, primarily because of the heat here!

They are great cattle.. I've really enjoyed raising them.

Here's a photo of a heifer I bought a couple of weeks ago. I'd like a whole herd of these! :cboy:

Lot-40.jpg

Hello Telly saw your post and had to reply. We just purchased 14 head of bred fb Simmental mother cows about 4 months ago. I've always had hereford and still have some and that's my preference but there are good things going on with these Simmentals. I've got 7 SimxAngus calves on the ground good mothers. Ours are the old spoted kind not the red or black. We like em. I like the cross angus with the simmentals and the herefords. Here's a pair bd 6/27/06 these are the only 2 that mothers bred to simme bulls.
Dynamic_Duo.JPG

I've stumbled across one slight problem. And that's coming up with my ranch name for Simmentals. I have a few in mind, but I guess I think they are sort of tacky.

My pseudo adopted daughter (52 years old) calls them Sentimentals.

dun

Family Tradition":22wunqpe said:
Hello Telly saw your post and had to reply. We just purchased 14 head of bred fb Simmental mother cows about 4 months ago. I've always had hereford and still have some and that's my preference but there are good things going on with these Simmentals. I've got 7 SimxAngus calves on the ground good mothers. Ours are the old spoted kind not the red or black. We like em. I like the cross angus with the simmentals and the herefords. Here's a pair bd 6/27/06 these are the only 2 that mothers bred to simme bulls.
Dynamic_Duo.JPG

Those two baby calves are priceless! I love them. I want them. I have 2 older ones that resemble them.

Alice

I am a Gelbvieh man, but if you can get me a truckload like that. I will take them. That is a nice heifer. She should do you a great job.

TheBullLady":3fe1bxx8 said:
I'm also in central Texas, and we've had Simmentals for over 20 years now, along with reg. Brahmans. We primarily sell replacement heifers (a lot of them 1/2 x 1/2's) and a few show calves as well. I also show a few myself.

We still have some of the traditional spotted cows, although they are getting up in age now. They are really good momma cows, and milk better than most. We have some blacks, but I'm working towards a predominant red herd, primarily because of the heat here!

Here's a photo of a heifer I bought a couple of weeks ago. I'd like a whole herd of these! :cboy:

Lot-40.jpg
BullLady - Now THERE is a "front Pasture" heifer (Cow) that anyone would be proud to display! If you have the kind of breeding consistency in your herd to regularly produce this kind of beef machine - you are in 'clover'!

DOC HARRIS

TheBullLady":7eahvgfs said:

Lot-40.jpg

Okay, I will bite. Really exceptional heifer penotypically. Please post pedigree and EPD's. ;-)

Her sire is CNS Dream On, which is probably the most popular AI sire in the Simmental breed right now, and her dam is out of a Leachman bull.. Leachman Bodybuilder.

I'm not sure I have her EPD's.. she's only a Feb heifer.

TheBullLady":1llqe86i said:
Her sire is CNS Dream On, which is probably the most popular AI sire in the Simmental breed right now, and her dam is out of a Leachman bull.. Leachman Bodybuilder.

I'm not sure I have her EPD's.. she's only a Feb heifer.

Thanks for the info. Now I found her picture in the last issue of the Register. Good photo. Yes, Dream On is hot. We have four ET's on the ground by him this month. The bodybuilder females are really deep and broody. The smart person will be the one to come up with the next great bull that is an outcross to Dream On to use on all those females folks like you and I will be keeping.

You're right about that! Kinda reminds me of when Black Joker got really popular. Although I've been lucky with my Joker daughters.. they've had good calves no matter what bull I run. Now if they were just RED... ! ;-)

Hi All, I've been out of town (again!!). The great red heifer posted is a great representative of what the modern Simmental breeder is "trying" to produce.
We've been breeding strickly 100% AI Simmentals for about 35 years. We've been thru the extremely heavy milking dams to the frame 10 - always keeping muscling, volume, structure & temperament at the top of our breeding choices. Our main sales are weaned heifers - either for replacements or junior show projects. We have both reds & blacks of moderate frame. We show quite extensively.
And, yes, we have a sire being promoted nationally - selling semen. Simme Valley Macho As U.
You can see more about our farm at:
http://www.SimmeValley.com

Latest posts