All about breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

AmeliaA

Reaction score
I'm interested in breeding. Would use artificial insemination and have a friend that has done it several time. What do I need to know? What will the mother need well she is pregnant? What to do at the labor? And care for newborn calf? The youngest calf I've had was 6 weeks old. :wave:

AmeliaA":3mbifbun said:
I'm interested in breeding. Would use artificial insemination and have a friend that has done it several time. What do I need to know? What will the mother need while she is pregnant? Grass, water, salt, and mineral.
What to do at the labor? Nothing unless there's an obvious problem. Then call a vet, or someone else that's experienced with calving.
And care for newborn calf? See above, about what to do at the labor.

1st you will need a cow/heifer with a healthy cycling reproductive tract.
Having salt and good minerals available daily for a few months prior to and a month after breeding helps.
Many keep it available year round.

2nd you will need to have a place to safely catch and restrain her for insemination.
IF you are going to vaccinate and worm her then complete these tasks 4-8 weeks before breeding.
Cows need no special care while pregnant, but providing salt and minerals during the last trimester is a good idea.

At calving, observing from a distance is best.
If everything goes according to plan, allow the cow to care for her calf for 1/2 hour before approaching.
Approach cautiously as some cows may view you as an enemy after calving.
Watch to see if the calf is able to latch on to a teat, assist only if needed. Dipping the calf's navel in a mild iodine
solution a few hours or so after birth will help to prevent naval infections.

Buying a pair of bred cows might be the best way to get started as a beginner.

As for the baby will did need any med or extra care the first few weeks

The calf needs no special care during the first month. Vaccines are more effective after the first month, because
the mother and colostrum have provided what the calf needs and those antibodies interfere with vaccine effectiveness when given in the first month or so. Medication is rarely needed and only if the calf becomes sick.

Early cald care depends on the how good of a mother the cow is, if she has adequate milk and the weather conditions when it's born.

Latest posts