Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Thats all we use

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top Bull of the Maine Breed

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
So i have been doing my research for a little over 3 months now and i came to ask some opinions. I know AAOK and Maine_Show_Girl are Maine (or were) breeders but i think there has to be more than that. My question is about the Maine Bull. Cowan's Ali 4m. My FFA instructor told me that he has thrown alot of good structured,fairly big boned calves and he is one of the better bulls of the breed. After being told that I went on to the American Maine-Anjou webesite and looked at the winners from the Junior National Maine Show and saw that the Reserve Grand Champion Female,Champion Summer Yearling,Reserve Champion Junior Bull Calf - Div. I
,Champion Junior Bull Calf - Div. II,Champion Summer Yearling Bull, and best of allGrand Champion Female. ok the question DO ANY OF YOU HAVE HEIFERS OUT OF HIM? I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO RESPONSES YOU MAY HAVE.

I don't raise Maines and don't plan to, but if I were going to use a maine bull it would be Ali. I agree with Cowgirl, he is one of the best.

We breed Maines and have for quite a while. I would not use Ali. He is very hit and miss. A lot of his calves never grow and are dinks. I know a lot of people who have used him and will never do so again. Some folks do like him, but I am not a fan. The only great calves that I have seen out of him come from Great Great cows.

If you are looking for a bull that has consistant low birth weights and do well in the show ring I would look at Majors Money Man. He has had a lot of calves that have sucess in the show ring and I have seen a lot of his calves from a lot of different styles of calves and they are all very good.

Semex is sold out - and so is everyone else! They overcollected him (so the story goes) and have not been able to get any viable sperm since March.

If you are looking for a bull that has consistant low birth weights and do well in the show ring I would look at Majors Money Man. He has had a lot of calves that have sucess in the show ring and I have seen a lot of his calves from a lot of different styles of calves and they are all very good.

I agree with Bar_R, Moneyman has thrown a lot of good calves and we used him on Angus and Chiangus cows last year and plan to keep about ten of the heifers and the rest are sold. I'll try to pm you some pics. :compute:

I forgot to mention that the females i will be breeding are 3- 4 yr. old PB Angus Cows and 2- 1 year olds. My main goal is to produce some nice maintainers (angus x maine)

Snider_Angus":2l1a7zzb said:
I forgot to mention that the females i will be breeding are 3- 4 yr. old PB Angus Cows and 2- 1 year olds. My main goal is to produce some nice maintainers (angus x maine)
If the quality of the cows is good, you should get what you're after.....

regarding quality of cows
Picture_00611.jpg
'04 cow

Picture_014.jpg
2- 01 cows

Just had to post this little cutie. Life was cut short at just 1 week old. Got stuck in the mud while drinking and froze to death.
Picture_0151.jpg

Based on those cows I would use Money Man, you can get his semen and you will have real good calves. His maintainers do very well. I would also condiser if I were you Hard Core (low birth wieghts, thisck calves and great hair).

If there is no Ali semen available (and I wouldn't know), I think you should look at his sire.
http://semexusa.com/beef/beef.aspx?breed=MA&ID=1448

Majors Money Man looks good in his calf picture, but I just looked him up on semex and his "older" picture is not as impressive. Either way, a bull is only as good as his calves.

I would say your cows are a little better than average. Looks like they need some muscle, more bone, width, and fine tweaked in certain areas. Good luck, sorry about that calf.

We bred my big red maine heifer to a son of Ali "JUST R LUCK" we all feel that he is better then his father. I luv my MIANE'Z ;-)

But I have to say I luv Ali but I feel HEAT WAVE is King of the Maines

Maineshowgirl":3v11supm said:
But I have to say I luv Ali but I feel HEAT WAVE is King of the Maines

Have you seen the mature Heat Wave? I don't think anyone would want those genetics in his/her herd.

Hey CPL where did you see a picture of MMM when he was young??? I seen calves out of him sell for more than 15,000. Also Most of the clubcalf bulls dont look 1/2 as good as they did when they were yearlings, but every one keeps using them.]

Maineshowgirl where did you get JUST R LUCK semen at???

I would sday the best Maine bull Would probally have to be FR magic or something like that but most definatly not ALI

Moocow11":26vp7486 said:
Hey CPL where did you see a picture of MMM when he was young??? I seen calves out of him sell for more than 15,000. Also Most of the clubcalf bulls dont look 1/2 as good as they did when they were yearlings, but every one keeps using them.]

Maineshowgirl where did you get JUST R LUCK semen at???

I would sday the best Maine bull Would probally have to be FR magic or something like that but most definatly not ALI

http://www.majorsshowcattle.com/#ew ( I assume he is the one in the first picture. Then went over to semex and it looks like he definitly went down with age.... like the rest of them.)

Latest posts