alfalfa vs. grass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

7lazy77

Reaction score
What are the advantages/disadvantes of one over the other. I found some "reasonably-priced" grass & alfalfa/grass hay. Will the grass feed pretty good? I normally feed straight alfalfa in years prior. But with a deal like this, it is hard to pass up!

Depends what you're feeding and where you live. Cows - lactating or dry? calves? bulls? dairy or beef? live in Northern Montana or Florida?

In my area and with my dairy animals I rarely feed grass hay unless I'm finishing calves for slaughter and they're also on a high grain ration.

I live in WY & I will be feeding it to bred cows throughout the winter. I plan on supplementing with a protein tub & or corn.

TNmasterbeefproducer: I didn't quite understand which one you were talking about? I know alfalfa could cause cattle to bloat, but were you talking about the grass too?

My thoughts; if you're supplementing it with a protein tub or corn you'll probably be fine. The cows won't like it as well and may not clean it up like the alfalfa in other years, but they'll eat it and do fine on it. I mostly raise Holsteins but have had some beef crossbreds, and they do fine on lower quality grass hay.

Send msscamp a PM... she's on the eastern side of WY and raised beef cows... she could give you some more input.

7lazy77":1wtqpzor said:
I live in WY & I will be feeding it to bred cows throughout the winter. I plan on supplementing with a protein tub & or corn.

TNmasterbeefproducer: I didn't quite understand which one you were talking about? I know alfalfa could cause cattle to bloat, but were you talking about the grass too?

How many cattle will you be feeding? If you feed alfalfa you shouldn't need the protein tub because the cattle will already be getting plenty of protein. If you're feeding grass hay the protein tub will be beneficial. Price will be another determining factor although not the only factor. Regardless I'd have the alfalfa and/or grass hay tested and buy based on hay quality (Protein, TDN, ADF, RFV). Personally I'd probably feed the grass and supplement with 40% cubes.

7lazy77":131luzqb said:
What are the advantages/disadvantes of one over the other. I found some "reasonably-priced" grass & alfalfa/grass hay. Will the grass feed pretty good? I normally feed straight alfalfa in years prior. But with a deal like this, it is hard to pass up!

Advantages of alfalfa - higher overall protein content, generally higher overall total digestability, higher calcium content, when raised right tends to be a finer stemmed hay, in my area it also tends to be cheaper than grass hay.

Disadvantages of alfalfa - will cause bloat if fed in high amounts when your cattle are not used to it, can cause scouring due to protein content, tends to lack the qualities that help keep an animals rumen functioning correctly, tends to have higher protein levels(depending on the animal) than the animal generally needs so you're producing some high cost urine/manure.

The protein content of grass hay is going to vary from grass type to grass type, but you can't beat grass for helping to straighten out a scouring weaning calf, feeder calf, bottle calf, or a cow with a loose stool. Assuming the hay was put up correctly, yes they will eat it just fine. We have fed grass mixed with alfalfa - generally 2 small bales of alfalfa for every 4-6 small bales of grass - for years, and never had a problem with the cattle eating the grass - in fact, a number of them tended to choose the grass over the alfalfa. Assuming the proportions are right, grass/alfalfa mix is an ideal combination because you have everything in one bale.

There is so much difference in grass hay. Grass hay put up properly will put weight on Wintering cows without added protein. Cut late after it's seeded will need a supplement. Lots of cows are Wintered on straight alfalfa without problems. Cows should be worked into a straight alfalfa diet. My choice would be a 50/50 green leafy alfalfa grass mix.

Latest posts