Alfalfa Supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
In our beef cattle operation, stored hay, is the principal source of food over the winter.

I am thinking of supplementing their feed over the winter period with Alfalfa. I am aware of the bloating issue.

My strategy might be to feed them 4-8 pounds of alfalfa a day in the barn where we can distribute clumps of bale to each cow separately, this feeding would be separate from the hay feeding which is typically accomplished using round bale feeders.

My objective is to get increased protein in the their diet at a reasonable price without introducing any additional problems (like bloat).

Any comments?
Thanks!

I think you would be wasting your money. Assuming you have fairly mild winters where you are. If they cows go into the winter in good condition, grass hay will be plenty sufficient. If you would like, maybe 30 days prior to calving you could slip a little to them, to perk them up some. You could also continue for a little bit after calving as well, to help with the milk supply. Then again, your genetics will be the dictator of having milk or not.