Alfalfa Hay Value for 600# Replacements

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am buying some more hay for the 52 replacements I added in October. Alfalfa grass hay is only $5 to 10 a round bale more than mature reed canary around here - - so alfalfa is an easy choice. I can get alfalfa hay from two close by sources with different balers. I weighed a few and the highest priced per bale fine stemmed second crop has the lowest $/lb... :shock:

I could sling a little corn from buckets to go with the 18% protein hay but that takes away from the bale grazing fun. Is there an easy way to alternate with grass hay to get the most food value out of the alfalfa, or should I just let them piss the extra protein away?

Actually you could alternate the canary reed hay(I am assuming its low in protein) one day and the Alfalfa the next
The protein supplement(in this case Alfalfa) can be fed once and be utilized for up to two days by the rumen.

Basically you can supplement a protein source every otehr day and get the same results as you would from supplementing half as much every day. Some research shows that it might even work skipping two days.

PS- don't do this with a high fat/starch protein supplement

Howdyjabo":1jt7vqg4 said:
Actually you could alternate the canary reed hay(I am assuming its low in protein) one day and the Alfalfa the next
The protein supplement(in this case Alfalfa) can be fed once and be utilized for up to two days by the rumen.

Basically you can supplement a protein source every otehr day and get the same results as you would from supplementing half as much every day. Some research shows that it might even work skipping two days.

PS- don't do this with a high fat/starch protein supplement
While alternating would probably work just fine, I would recommend keeping a more consistent ration. Cattle do much better with consistency in their diet. If possible, grind the hay blending the alfalfa with the reed or some other poorer quality hay.

did you ever get that tub grinder you was looking for.if so id grind the alalfa hay.an feed the heifers 8lbs a day.an keep round bales of grass hay out for them.the 8lbs would give them .96lb of protine a day.

I agree mixing would always be best- but I assumed he didn't have that option