Aldi and Horsemeat

Help Support CattleToday:

I had to bury one of my sons girlfriends horses Monday night. It colicd and twisted its gut. I wanted to pull a back strap out to try it but she would never go in the house and had to watch me bury him.

M5farm":1laqa2b8 said:
I had to bury one of my sons girlfriends horses Monday night. It colicd and twisted its gut. I wanted to pull a back strap out to try it but she would never go in the house and had to watch me bury him.
Opportunity lost. It's cold enough. Dig it up.

I don't see any difference in eating a horse, than any other farm animal. Heck, their cleaner than hogs and cows. I'd try it.

My wife lived in Belgium for several years when she was a girl, in the early 1970's. She's told me that you could buy French Fries there that were fried in horse fat, and that she hasn't had French Fries that were that good since then.

Hook":c2zgamg8 said:
Id still like to try horse meat.
back when fed cattle were bringing 1.70 plus per lb we were out of beef because we couldnt bring ourselves to butcher one of our perfectly healthy cattle due to the high price. I tried to convince my wife that we should buy a horse and slaughter it for cheap meat.........No go :(

I have never tried horse meat, but I have no problem with trying it if the opportunity ever presents itself. Horse is bound to be better than some of the meat I have tried to eat.

Don't see why horsemeat is so TABOO. There are more useless horses than most people know. I raised appaloosa's and love my horses; and they do normally have more "personality" than alot of cattle, but that is also because we equate them with being servant/companions etc. I have absolutely no qualms about trying it. Some of my far back ancestors thought that mule meat was the best....

farmerjan":2yphyubh said:
Don't see why horsemeat is so TABOO. There are more useless horses than most people know. I raised appaloosa's and love my horses; and they do normally have more "personality" than alot of cattle, but that is also because we equate them with being servant/companions etc. I have absolutely no qualms about trying it. Some of my far back ancestors thought that mule meat was the best....

I agree completely! When the slaughter market closed in the US for horses, it killed the middle to bottom end of the horse market. Not every horse is a pet, and not every horse needs to be sitting idly by in a pasture because it has no useful life left! No, bleeding heart horse lovers just did more damage than good by making that move; now horses are sold for slaughter for next to nothing, then put on a pot and hauled into either Canada or Mexico to be killed. How inhumane is that? Should have left the darn slaughter houses open so at least they could be killed locally instead of the long, grueling ride to the boarder, often without food or water, to be killed anyway! Who are we to judge those who eat horse meat? It is a protein that many people enjoy, and I would try it if offered.
Yes, I own horses. 4, in fact! One is 21 (daughter of my original horse), one is 22, and the other two are in their teens (granddaughters of the original horse I had). You could not give them away if you wanted! Out here it cost more to do the Coggins and consign to a sale than what you would get for them selling!
They have tried to reopen slaughter facilities, even here in MO, but idiots keep shutting them down!
Off my soapbox now...

Fire Sweep Ranch":2wlwv09w said:
farmerjan":2wlwv09w said:

I agree completely! When the slaughter market closed in the US for horses, it killed the middle to bottom end of the horse market. Not every horse is a pet, and not every horse needs to be sitting idly by in a pasture because it has no useful life left! No, bleeding heart horse lovers just did more damage than good by making that move; now horses are sold for slaughter for next to nothing, then put on a pot and hauled into either Canada or Mexico to be killed. How inhumane is that? Should have left the darn slaughter houses open so at least they could be killed locally instead of the long, grueling ride to the boarder, often without food or water, to be killed anyway! Who are we to judge those who eat horse meat? It is a protein that many people enjoy, and I would try it if offered.
Yes, I own horses. 4, in fact! One is 21 (daughter of my original horse), one is 22, and the other two are in their teens (granddaughters of the original horse I had). You could not give them away if you wanted! Out here it cost more to do the Coggins and consign to a sale than what you would get for them selling!
They have tried to reopen slaughter facilities, even here in MO, but idiots keep shutting them down!
Off my soapbox now...

I agree completely. I was so incensed when the bleeding heart do-gooders thought that a horse deserved to live out it's natural life....and I kept my first horse until she died at 27 because she was my "baby". That said, I was so enthused to hear that they were gonna open up one or 2 plants to horse slaughter and then as FS said, they keep throwing monkey wrenches in it. There is no good excuse for them to be hauled all the way to Canada or Mexico, agree again that it is much more cruel to do that than to just sending them to a closer plant to be killed quickly and more humanely. Several years ago when there was a terrible drought in the southeast, people were turning horses loose to fend for themselves everywhere because no one could afford to buy hay even when they could find it. There were several articles in newspapers all over the south about it. People were having trouble feeding themselves, and couldn't afford the high price hike in hay as there wasn't any around. It was bad even here in Va. and we had people coming out of the woodwork trying to buy hay from us. ANY KIND OF HAY and at $6 - $10 a 40 lb square bale of crappy pasture hay. Stuff we round baled to roll out in the winter for the cows to eat/lay on or whatever. They are protein just like a cow/steer/sheep/goat/chicken. And for the record, we raised purebred show poultry, and years ago when my sister was about 6-7 yrs old, a breeder of some of the best White Leghorn Bantams in the country, gave her a couple eggs at the show. She hatched a pullet and trained her to walk on a leash with a little cat harness on her and she was a real good quality bird. Would come to her name and all that, so yes other animals than horses can have exceptional personalities too.

I wouldn't think twice about eating horse meat.. I've had mountain lion, snake and bear and didn't mind any of them (BTW, BBQ bear ribs from one that's been binging on apples.. better than any beef ribs I've ever had!!)

People are just too damm stupid.. Just because every little suburbanite girl wanted a horse when she was 6 and never got it, and still can't get it must mean there's a shortage of horses, they MUST be on the endangered species list so we can't have any getting slaughtered.

Yeah, this is a bit of a hot button for me.. I'm surrounded by feral horses that are LOADED with ticks and starved to death by springtime.. No one claims the horse when it's eating in your pasture, but suddenly its everyones' horse when you shoot the stupid thing (yes, stupid, because no one has spent a minute training them!)

Cows are darned smart, just perhaps more for only when it suits them... They do figure stuff out though

Allowing the sale of horse meat to humans would be the humane thing to do for the horse. Although it would mean one more protein source competing for the consumer dollar.

Latest posts