Alabama Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama":8l7utv3m said:
VZCR":8l7utv3m said:
C HOLLAND":8l7utv3m said:
CB, I am doing exactly that, matter of fact I have a 50% deposit on 200 small bales now of coastal for $5.00 each, but its tough to even find that around here.

I may be going with a friend of mine to get a load with his trailer if we can find some more.
Ya'll can come on out here, I'll bale you up some as soon as we get a little stretch of dry weather..........I even have an accumulator (8-packs) and grapple to load your trailer with. I haul 200 bales on my 32' trailer.

What is the bigest load you can deliver to Alabama and how much is it FOB in my barn?
I can't make a trip to Alabama, just too far. I have contact with freight brokers that are quoting $1.50 per mile. It's a sad thing to have lots of hay, but the cost of transportation makes it unfeasable to get it there. :(

Sorry to be rubbing it in but it is raining in our part of South Alabama. Even heard a little thunder, which means lightning and the way our luck is it probably hit my electric fence charger... Forcast calls for more tomorrow, of course they have been wrong before.

VZCR":2h3v0z48 said:
C HOLLAND":2h3v0z48 said:
UP-DATE

The weather report is predicting 80% for Tuesday, but thats 2 days away and it can change to ZERO by then, and with my luck lately I will be in the area that relates to the remaining 20%.

I am looing into buying a truck load shipped in from Ark

Anyone know how many 5x5 bales a flad bed 18 wheeler can haul and the going rate per mile and fuel surcharge.
I had a call from a man in Alabama looking to get hay shipped out there. All the freight brokers I contacted for a quote said $1.50 per mile. They figure from zip code to zip code. They can haul up to 48,000 lbs. They could haul 22 bales with the right kind of trailer.
Correction.......they can haul 38-40 4x5 rolls. :lol:

gulfso":1r14nva7 said:
Sorry to be rubbing it in but it is raining in our part of South Alabama. Even heard a little thunder, which means lightning and the way our luck is it probably hit my electric fence charger... Forcast calls for more tomorrow, of course they have been wrong before.

I work in Enterprise and we probaly got 2 inches this afternoon between 4 and 5pm, and I watched it on Radar and it went north following the Coffee/Dale county line and as of 6:36 this afternoon we still are dry as a bone. I am in Ariton just about 5 miles inside the Dale county line,,,(the DESERT TRIANGLE as we call it)

I am still praying for rain and haven't give up hope.

So far about 1/2 to 3/4 inch on the farm and over an inch in town where no cows to eat the grass.More expected tonight and tomorrow

Well none yet at my place but it looks like a good chance today. I think i will get my soap and washrag and get cleaned up since i mised my spring showers this year.

C HOLLAND":7jp9h9qg said:
Rain UP-DATE

oooooooops there is NONE, ZERO NADDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAA it went bye us again.

WE GOT RAIN weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we may get a 1/2 inch or so if it keeps up for a while longer.

Praise the Lord

I left the windows down on all the farm trucks. And left the water running on the mater patch.
Now it is raining like a cow P ing on a flat rock.

thank you lord

alabama":2v31tat7 said:
I left the windows down on all the farm trucks. And left the water running on the mater patch.
Now it is raining like a cow P ing on a flat rock.

thank you lord

Good one,,,,,the ground here is almost that hard and it will take time for the rain to have much affect, the moisture level has been below 4 feet at my place for several weeks. I have been digging post holes in the last few weeks and I have had to pour water in the hole to get the dirt to come our when I use the hand post hole diggers to clean it out.

Well something had to give sooner or later, it has been raining since noon at my place, and a nice slow rain after the initial down poor around noon today.

The radar is showing more to come from the west in Ms

I knew that extra $$$ I gave to the preacher would come in handy sooner or later.

Well y'all: 3/10 just was not much help at all. It greened the grass for about a day and a half and I am right back where I was. Little or no grass growth and still feeding hay. The hay field has about a week's worth of growth in it so I need a good 3 to 4 weeks of wet weather for a crop of hay and I have just enough hay left to feed for 3 to 4 weeks.
I have been running several different scenarios and trying to cipher how to make the winter. It comes down to this. If the drought last longer than 3 more weeks I will need to buy hay. Not only for the winter but for the summer as well.
Therefore, for me the date will be July 15th to start buying hay.

Alabama, I can relate to the same. I am going to buy peanut hay (if it rains)for the winter and hopefully we will get enough rain to grow some rye and clover over the winter and early spring. I have been promised 20 rolls of hay coming out of Barbour county. I am not holding my breath though.I am buying soy hull pellets and feeding a little to them along with the rye/clover hay I purchased.

The 10 acres of cut timber has come in handy, they are part goat I think, because they are cleaning up the brush and they love the vines with flowers.

I think we need to develop a new breed that will survive on dirt and weeds.

I see some rain in the area today and a decent prediction for the beginning of next week.

Latest posts