Akita Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Akita dogs ?
We lost our farm dog some time ago and haven't replaced him. Dad saw these Akitas on the television - thinks he might want one.
Any ideas ?

Bullbuyer":t912fn0j said:
Does anyone have any experience with Akita dogs ?
We lost our farm dog some time ago and haven't replaced him. Dad saw these Akitas on the television - thinks he might want one.
Any ideas ?

Neighbor down the road has one of those Jap Shepards big dog with a lot of teeth. He ain't friendly.

We had one that was one of the sweetest dogs we've ever had; little kids could come take a bone out of her mouth and she'd just be wagging her tail.

Had another that mauled the neighbor's 8 y/o daughter (who he knew well) and she had to have 120 stitches to the back of her head. Dog didn't live long after that.

The quote that applies to Tigers could apply to Akitas too - not for beginners.

I have Labs nowdays; little safer around the kids and livestock.

If you get one - make sure it's from a really good breeder that has temperament as the priority in their breeding program.

Think I've heard all I need to hear. Dad ain't no spring chicken (even though he thinks he is) so he don't need nothing like that around the barn or the house.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1x717qnr said:
They are ferocious animals. I have seen that akita pickup poodles that came in the yard and just rip em to shreds. He actually seemed to like killing. Course the japaneese used them in world war 2 as attack dogs in battle. They are tough as nails and have a bad temper when you make em mad.
enough of a recommendation for anyone :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
as for me - I'll take those labradorks (at least that's what mine are really :lol: )

My best friend has two and they are mean as the devil. They are okay with family and her kids, but no one else. Also, her's are sensitive to the heat and she has to keep them indoors in summer. They also have skin problems and one of them had the 'roids real bad last year. They were bred as fighting dogs. They eat stray cats and smaller dogs. I don't know that I would want one myself.

They don't eat cats as much as they play with them for a while till they ain't fun anymore. In other words, dead.

Not worth a plug nickel. Neighbors kid was mailed by one a few years ago and permanently scarred. I've never heard anything good about the breed. Let me sell you a Bloodhound. :lol:

What's a Labradork? A Lab/Yorkie mix? I would like to see who was on top on that one! :shock: I did have a friend once who had a Dalmation in season. She also raise pugs, and she thought that the difference in height would prevent them from mating. Wrong! She squatted on the ground!

Those were some funny looking dogs... Pugmations?

Lammie":38bhz23i said:
What's a Labradork? A Lab/Yorkie mix? I would like to see who was on top on that one! :shock: I did have a friend once who had a Dalmation in season. She also raise pugs, and she thought that the difference in height would prevent them from mating. Wrong! She squatted on the ground!

Those were some funny looking dogs... Pugmations?
Labradorks are labrador retrievers but they are soooo silly :roll: that my friend renamed the breed Labradorks :lol:

Yeah size is a problem that can be dealt with - my Dad kept saying that the redbone coonhound couldn't get his rat terrier (too tall)- well I pulled them apart (just in time :shock:) and locked her up for the duration - she has since visited the vet for her little operation!

that would have been a mix - skinny red coonhound mixed with what appears to be a combo of rat terrier and smooth coat border collie

Crowderfarms":3ruip1s4 said:
Not worth a plug nickel. Neighbors kid was maued by one a few years ago and permanently scarred. I've never heard anything good about the breed. Let me sell you a Bloodhound. :lol:

Crowderfarms":g8h39hmw said:
Not worth a plug nickel. Neighbors kid was mailed by one a few years ago and permanently scarred. I've never heard anything good about the breed. Let me sell you a Bloodhound. :lol:

You got pups ?

Been up all night. One of my finest females has had 10 so far. The Ultra Sound showed 12. She usually stays in labor 24 hrs. Reds and Black/Tans. Tracking and trailing Bloodlines AKC registered.

Crowderfarms":306z5qq0 said:
Been up all night. One of my finest females has had 10 so far. The Ultra Sound showed 12. She usually stays in labor 24 hrs. Reds and Black/Tans. Tracking and trailing Bloodlines AKC registered.

Labour for 24 hours??!!! That poor dog! :shock:

My cousin raised them for 12 years. Got out because of indiscriminate breeding was ruining the breed about 15 years ago. She would NOT recommend this breed for anyone with chidren. She would not recommend this breed for someone who doesn't want to commit to working with the dog 1-2 hrs a day.
Without bonding and recongnizing another as the alpha male these dogs probably won't bring you anything but grief.

I have heard enough to make up my mind, there will be no Akita on or near the farm. I can't have a dog harming the cats -I need them around the hog barn to monitor the rodent population (recent census = 0) - they're more valuable than any dog.

Bullbuyer,

While I'm not discrediting any of the post about Akitas, My wife and I have an Akita now that is about 4. She replaced two other Akitas when they died. We have the Akita, a spazadore (lab),and 6 cats. They get along fine, we do watch her around kids, but all of out akitas, past and present have been good around kids. We did have one in the past that would kill cats and little dogs.

I guess my point is they are like any other dog and it is how they are raised that will determine the type of dog you get. Akitas have been bred for many years to improve their temperment, but they were bred as fighting/guard dogs.

I agree they are not for beginners, my only knock on them is they shed like no other dog I have ever seen, clumps of hair when they"blow" their coat.

I would put some dogs ahead of the akita as far as untrustworthy and mean. Just to be clear, Rots, Pits, Border Collie, Healers, Chows, terriers.

JMO,
Alan

Bullbuyer":28ygednn said:
I have heard enough to make up my mind, there will be no Akita on or near the farm. I can't have a dog harming the cats -I need them around the hog barn to monitor the rodent population (recent census = 0) - they're more valuable than any dog.

Just to add a little, the Akita is better than the lab when it comes to killing mice and moles, and she will run a coyote faster then the lab, but the lab is about 8 now.... as my wife just reminded me the lab is catch and release when it comes to mice, the Akita is one chomp and then let the cats take the credit for the kill.

Alan

Latest posts