AK-47 or AR-15

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Just curious to what others opinions are about these two guns. I like the AK better for many reasons but want to hear what others think.

If you like accuracy and the availability of a slew of aftermarket parts and for the Americana go with the AR. If you like cheap ammo, lead slinging and loud noise go with the AK. It is also cheaper. I own both but prefer my AR.

Beef08":1e3amc9m said:
How much $$$$$ does an AR-15 cost? And how easy can someone get one?

If you plan on tweeking the trigger and getting some extra clips, getting a scope mount you will have about $1200 in one. If you get one, look into getting a jewell trigger. Helps out a lot on long distance.

dun":rx59pmtk said:
My personal preference is the M1 Garand

I have one and it is a nice rifle for shorter range targets. Super lightweight and very accurate. Have had to replace the firing pin in mine but that's bout it. Would like to locate the original sling fittings for it.

Have my eye on an AR15 right now though.

Good luck finding either one. Every AR type rifle in America sold out about a month ago.

If you can find one at a reasonable price buy it quick they are in very short supply.

Obama is the best thing to ever happen to the gun business whether he knows it or not.

The is also currently a shortage of .223 brass and 69gr bullets. Same reason

BeefmasterB":1qq141ph said:
dun":1qq141ph said:

I have one and it is a nice rifle for shorter range targets. Super lightweight and very accurate. Have had to replace the firing pin in mine but that's bout it. Would like to locate the original sling fittings for it.

BeefmasterB, you are the first person that I know that has reffered to the M1 Garand as super lightweight :D You must have the Carbine REMF version. They are interesting little plinkers woefully low on power but fun to shoot and handy. It's big brother the M1 Garand 30.06 is a real rip snortin rifle.

HOSS":w2qaasnr said:
BeefmasterB":w2qaasnr said:
dun":w2qaasnr said:

BeefmasterB, you are the first person that I know that has reffered to the M1 Garand as super lightweight :D You must have the Carbine REMF version. They are interesting little plinkers woefully low on power but fun to shoot and handy. It's big brother the M1 Garand 30.06 is a real rip snortin rifle.

I was thinking the same thing when he mentined short range. The 06 or 308 Garand is hardly a short range proposition, or light weight for that matter. The M1 Carbine is a fun plinker, but I sure don;t plink ith my Garands.

HOSS":1y6ndyhs said:
BeefmasterB":1y6ndyhs said:
dun":1y6ndyhs said:

I think your right Hoss and Dun. The Garand was the original M1, right? And then came the M1 Carbine .30 cal? The one I have is the WWII issued carbine that my Dad carried and is very lightweight, short barreled. It's not the original Garand. I guess the nomenclature fooled me a bit as Fulton Armory refers to it as "Caliber .30, M1--The Garand".

HOSS":2psqjmvp said:
BeefmasterB":2psqjmvp said:
dun":2psqjmvp said:

I had one and sold it. I used to shoot high power rifle with it out to 600 yards and this was not a scaled down target. It was a true 600 yard range. I think I may still have some stripper clips (minds out of gutters) for the M1 Garand if anyone needs them.

My uncle had an M1 Garand that he brought back from WW2. It was a very accurate rifle and fun to shoot. He used it for years hunting deer. It was pretty battle scarred when he brought it back as it came through Normandy and The Bulge with him. He is eighty years old now and still keeps it where he can get his hands on it in an emergency.

tncattle":18rvo7uu said:
Just curious to what others opinions are about these two guns. I like the AK better for many reasons but want to hear what others think.

I love my AR....course I loved my old M-16's as well. Much more accurate, lighter and versatile. The AK has a lot more knockdown power but at a 100 yards or more I can't hit a barn with it.

I guess my favorite is the AR-15. My wife surprised me with an early christmas present. She bought me a DPMS Panther .223. This is my first assault rifle, and I'm looking forward to getting familiar with it. What a nice surprise!!

I prefer AR's. I just picked up two more at the shop for 1100 and 1200. They went up $150 just since Obama got elected. Everyone is scrambling to get them so I figured I would get two more while they had them in stock as their next shipment is at least 12 weeks out!

SkinMan":2saphbm6 said:
I guess my favorite is the AR-15. My wife surprised me with an early christmas present. She bought me a DPMS Panther .223. This is my first assault rifle, and I'm looking forward to getting familiar with it. What a nice surprise!!

Better go back and buy a case of ammo....God they're fun to shoot. :lol: :lol:

She had bought 500 rds to go along with it also. I got out today and put a clip through it just to shoot it. It was a blast! I have to get a scope for it and get it sighted in so I can start working on some coyotes.

Latest posts