Air Compressor Help

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
My 26 gallon Sears comp. suddenly quit working while I was blowing out a radiator.Made a humming sound like it was trying to start then nothing.Don't know if this will be a simple repair or if I should look for a new one.Hate to spend the money on a new one but it's that time of the year when an air comp. is quite useful.
Have looked at a Porter Cable online at T S C.They have a 30 gallon portable and a 60 gallon stationary.Not much difference in the prices.60 gallon is rated much higher in CFM which would be great for the occasional use with a 1/2" drive air gun.
30 gallon is a twin cylinder. 60 gallon is a single.Both are oil type

Any advice will be helpful.

My smaller Senco compressor does this at times. Usually from it being under a load or either not getting enough current. We unplug it, let the air out of the tank, and then press the thermal overload switch. Fires back up every time. May give this a shot. Not sure if it will work on yours but it's free!

Could also be the check/bleedoff system not working correctly, so that it's under load when it starts... Start capacitor is a possiblity.. Check thermal overload button, push in on it... If all else fails and the compressor is still good, you could just get a new motor put on it.

skyhightree1":2nppbo2f said:
I have a snap on compressor and I love it
You mean you have a reliable compressor...:). Trouble w buying a middle if road /higher end compressor is there is so much rebranding it can give you a headache trying to make a prudent choice. Snap on might sting a little at first but you get a quality tool which pays for it self over time.

Kingfisher":92xv4yhm said:
JW IN VA":92xv4yhm said:
Found problem when I was looking for model number.
Reset button :hide: :banana:
:dunce:
Why did it trip ?
That's the key. While occasioanlly a fluke happens, usually there is a repeating reson for it.

No Dunn the "key" or lack of is the want to replace it with ought any investigation as to why......the why might never be fully addressed....:) lol

JW IN VA":2ic5zkxg said:
skyhightree1":2ic5zkxg said:

I don't have that much money :) :)

Pricey at first but I was wearing other compressors out.

Kingfisher":2ic5zkxg said:
skyhightree1":2ic5zkxg said:
You mean you have a reliable compressor...:). Trouble w buying a middle if road /higher end compressor is there is so much rebranding it can give you a headache trying to make a prudent choice. Snap on might sting a little at first but you get a quality tool which pays for it self over time.

Yea im sure its made by Ingersoll rand or someone probably but I got it at a good deal.

JW IN VA":2os39psi said:
Capacitors do not appear to be "swollen".Is there any test that can be done with a volt meter?

Could the .7" of rain it was in yesterday have been a factor?

There's a decent test you can do.
Set your meter to ohms and touch the leads to either wire at the same time. You should see the reading increase until it's so high you can't read it.

We have a 2hp industrial compressor.. been working for 25 years like a champ.. a little under powered for our shop, especially if you paint, etc, but it's been a good unit