AI to improve cattle herd

Help Support CattleToday:

linebacker

Reaction score
How many of you AI your commercial cattle? IF so, is there anywhere down the line they could become registered. Say if you keep some heifers out of each generation and continue to AI to registered bulls?

It depends on the breed association as to which ones will let you register half bloods and then continue to breed them up. The Gelbvieh association does and there are others that have but I don't know for sure which other ones still allow this.

linebacker":1do5jsku said:
How many of you AI your commercial cattle? IF so, is there anywhere down the line they could become registered. Say if you keep some heifers out of each generation and continue to AI to registered bulls?

You can register the very first calf from an identified known cow and a registered charolais bull. The calf's papers will be clearly marked as "1/2 Charolais". All subsequent calf's papers will reflect the percentage of Char influence down the line.

When they reach purebred status in 5 or 6? (from memory)generations they will have 97 or 98%? Charolais genetics.

I think some other breed associations do this also.

MikeC":ttlseur0 said:
linebacker":ttlseur0 said:

You can register the very first calf from an identified known cow and a registered charolais bull. The calf's papers will be clearly marked as "1/2 Charolais". All subsequent calf's papers will reflect the percentage of Char influence down the line.

When they reach purebred status in 5 or 6? (from memory)generations they will have 97 or 98%? Charolais genetics.

It won't be long untill we see "BLACK" charolais ;-)

alabama":gc410qxw said:
MikeC":gc410qxw said:
linebacker":gc410qxw said:

There are black Chars in canada now. The registry doesn't allow them here, yet.

We have to report nose color, hair color, and tail switch color when registering.

MikeC":2qq18vsu said:

Seems like most of them do this except Angus and Maybe Hereford? Surely there is a few more, just have not heard who they are.

We run meat cattle so registering isn't an issue for us. For some reason I was opposed to AI in years past but gave it another try this past spring...only one do-over and now I wonder why I didn't wise-up earlier.
High dollar genetics for a few bucks...and covered the cows with the sires that we selected for each cow. Sort of like being able to pick your in-laws. Unless a someone gives me a deal that I can't refuse on a super bull, we're going to AI again this spring.
Just my two bits worth...DMc

MikeC":ol3q6ybf said:
alabama":ol3q6ybf said:
MikeC":ol3q6ybf said:
linebacker":ol3q6ybf said:

I wonder how many will make CAB?

There are black Chars in canada now. The registry doesn't allow them here, yet.

We have to report nose color, hair color, and tail switch color when registering.

linebacker":2y6s9z9w said:

We don't now, but we used to. Whether or not you can register them (and when) depends on what breed you're AI'ing to achieve, and that association's rules. AI'ing one breed to another breed is generally considered 'breeding up', and some breed associations don't allow it. That being said, there are also breed associations that will allow you to register as little as 1/4 or 1/2 cattle with no problem. Once they reach 7/8th's (if memory serves, it's 1/4, then 1/2, then 3/4's, then 7/8th's, I think - but I could very well be wrong on that. It's been a long time) they are considered full-blooded. I would suggest checking with the association for the breeds you're interested in to see what their rules are.

Even if you're not breeding up to a registered herd, you can improve your herd genetics with AI. Some ranches AI their replacement heifers before they put them with a bull. They then retain the AI sired heifers out of those heifers as replacements.

Latest posts