AI QUESTION

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
For those that have a lot of experience AIing I have a question. I am going to ai about a 110 commercial heifers with a timed ai, will put bulls in after lute shot to catch the early heaters and after ai to catch late ones hopefully, just trying to get them bred. Have you ever used the 7 or 5 day protocol without the cidr's, if so how did your conception vary. Im just curious if its worth the $1100. I don't mind spending the extra for the cidr's with my registered stock but with commercial prices the way they are got to run a tight ship to come out. Maybe bse and others can help me out on this one. Thanks

Without the Cidrs you will be way to strung out for TAI to be effective, so youd be wasting a lot of time and money. If you have the bull power for 110 Just Lute and turn them out. In a commercial world using TAI Id use the complete protocol and turn bulls in right after I was finished breeding. Bulls will catch a few right there and be ready for non responders in a few days. Should see a big percentage calve in a group then almost all 21 days after. The answer to the $1100 dollars is what it worth to have 60% or better in 1 group. Id guess an Extra 25lbs per calf over 21 days but having a pot load of same size id think dollars ahead.

bse":2t0okwnv said:
Without the Cidrs you will be way to strung out for TAI to be effective, so youd be wasting a lot of time and money. If you have the bull power for 110 Just Lute and turn them out. In a commercial world using TAI Id use the complete protocol and turn bulls in right after I was finished breeding. Bulls will catch a few right there and be ready for non responders in a few days. Should see a big percentage calve in a group then almost all 21 days after. The answer to the $1100 dollars is what it worth to have 60% or better in 1 group. Id guess an Extra 25lbs per calf over 21 days but having a pot load of same size id think dollars ahead.

Thanks Barry, I knew you would have some knowledge in this area. I will be in touch with you soon about ai-ing these for me.

7 days without a CIDR requires heat detection and breeding on observed heats.

I'm wondering if after the lute shot you waited 2 days and bred them and gave them a shot of GnRH if that would work as well as timed AI

BSE and I were talking about AI bulls. Does it matter what there bred to?
What im trying to say is with bred heifers, is your main concern with calving ease and low birth weights or is growth just as important?

Depends what output the heifers will give. I'd go with a bull thats good across the board rather than great in just an area or 2.

Just wondering why no one has mentioned the effectiveness of mga. It is very popular in Nebraska, according to people I have discussed breeding with. My heifers have always had great success with a 33 day cidr synch

MGA doesn't seem to work around here to good, one may eat more than the other, just doesn't seem to work that good.
The 33 day is a great protocol, you can vaccinate when putting in cidrs, saves a shot of GnRh. It just takes a little more planning and resist that mild heat when you pull the cidrs.