AI heat Detection Question

Help Support CattleToday:

ramseyacdc

Reaction score
I will be using a one shot prostaglandin protocol in the near future, and then doing heat detection for 5 days. I have to schedule around work so I was wondering what days during the 5 day heat detection would be most active? Thanks ahead for any insight!

wbvs58":cpg0cugj said:
3rd day on.

Ken
Would normally agree but this year we got busy in the second half of day 2 - so you need to be as vigilante as you can be over the whole time period.

I would use some type of patch, especially if you have an off farm job. Sometimes they can make the difference when in doubt.

if you do not have time to sit and watch the cattle and do the work required of heat detection then you are using the wrong protocol.

Timed AI does pretty well without heat detection....heat detection just enhances any breeding efforts....

I used to spend more time on heat detection than I did on breeding.....

But then back in the day before synchrony that was all we had...after supper heat detection was my favorite time of the day...just me and the cows and a good horse and a cigar

For aids I still prefer just plain cattle marking grease stick....easy to apply...easy to color code....no glue or ripping off

Thanks for the Replies! I did get some Patches to help, and I will probably just use vacation for most of the days so I catch all I can.