AI bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Just bought an AI bull out of brushpopper 295. He's 9months old and weighs close to 700lbs. Just wondering if anyone has any bulls out of this sire. Oh this is a reg black Angus.

Chuckie":gzc8eeak said:
Which Brushpopper is he?

Chuck that would probably be Mohnen Brushpopper. Love that name, bull has decent numbers for a nine year old. But guess numbers really depend on how you are selling calves. Looks good maternally though. Pretty sure I spelled that wrong but thats ok.

animalsci2011":3pdupz7l said:
Hey Calhoun,

How are you marketing your calves? That is the most important question.

Well I'm not sure, this bull won't be breeding until December so I've got some time. I am taking a state master beef producer class next month and marketing is one of the topics. I hope to learn alot during the class, I'm also certifying in BQA at the same time.

Hey Calhoun,

I only asked because this bull is really good by numbers(for what they are worth to ya) if the calves are going to be sold at weaning, or through the feedlot if you are retaining the ownership. He should put on some good marketable pounds on your cattle, I don't know your cattle but thats an assumption. Really like your choice of bull looks like he has a good pedigree behind him. Hope he does well for ya

I was thinking about about banding the bull calves at about 2months old and then raising them to 500lbs and selling them thru stock barn. Any heifers I would like to keep and separate from him and raise them to about 800lbs and sell them privately as replacement heifers. How does that sound?

Yeah you can probably do well with him then. I think he is a great choice for ya. Good luck with him. When you get ready to sell some of those heifers let me know I would like to take a look at them.

animalsci2011":s0iqytjx said:
Yeah you can probably do well with him then. I think he is a great choice for ya. Good luck with him. When you get ready to sell some of those heifers let me know I would like to take a look at them.

Will do, check your PM's.

Just on a side note. If you are a registered herd now, you are going to want to get that bull tested for DD. I have like half my herd that I need to test since that came out but I will wait a while to see which animals come back as carriers and which don't. I know they found that the Brushpopper was a carrier but if you have a son then his offspring only have a 25% chance of being carriers assuming all your females are clean. I would probably just wait it out and see what happens. Still I would like a call when you get some heifer calves on the ground I will be needing them really bad. Actually just picked up a hundred acre lease and I am going to need some cows for that. Anyways talk at you later.

Calhoun Farm":2y8y9d70 said:
animalsci2011":2y8y9d70 said:
Hey Calhoun,

Well I'm not sure, this bull won't be breeding until December so I've got some time. I am taking a state master beef producer class next month and marketing is one of the topics. I hope to learn alot during the class, I'm also certifying in BQA at the same time.
just dont change you'r user name to that :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":15yx824i said:
Calhoun Farm":15yx824i said:
animalsci2011":15yx824i said:
Hey Calhoun,

just dont change you'r user name to that :cowboy:

I kinda miss the old guy. The more I read the more I think he has family in Fla.

fitz

animalsci2011":1xc3lqti said:
Just on a side note. If you are a registered herd now, you are going to want to get that bull tested for DD. I have like half my herd that I need to test since that came out but I will wait a while to see which animals come back as carriers and which don't. I know they found that the Brushpopper was a carrier but if you have a son then his offspring only have a 25% chance of being carriers assuming all your females are clean. I would probably just wait it out and see what happens. Still I would like a call when you get some heifer calves on the ground I will be needing them really bad. Actually just picked up a hundred acre lease and I am going to need some cows for that. Anyways talk at you later.

What is DD?

Calhoun Farm":21aufuqj said:
animalsci2011":21aufuqj said:

What is DD?
http://www.angus.org/Pub/DD/DD_Announcement08122013.pdf To long for me to pretend i knew all about it.. so i cheated n cut and pasted it

Brushpopper wasn't tested, his reg # is 15059657 and wasn't in the list. I think the list is sorted by reg number and that number wasn't there.

Thank you for that link.

Howdy Calhoun,
I am just going to sent you the link to the location so you can read about it. Honestly I see it as just another way genetic companies can make a little more money but take a look at it.

http://www.angus.org/Pub/DD/DDInfo.aspx

Is just a simple recessive genetic condition. Kinda like AH, CA, or NH but the calves are never really born from what I read they die early in gestation.

animalsci2011":19oxp9c8 said:
Howdy Calhoun,
I am just going to sent you the link to the location so you can read about it. Honestly I see it as just another way genetic companies can make a little more money but take a look at it.

http://www.angus.org/Pub/DD/DDInfo.aspx

Is just a simple recessive genetic condition. Kinda like AH, CA, or NH but the calves are never really born from what I read they die early in gestation.

Thanks,

I checked and brushpopper 295 is DDC according to AAA.

DD is a recessive genetic condition. It was discovered when calves were born with extra legs. It was noted that many of the animals involved had been line bred to bulls noted for carcass. Research eventually traced the source back to Ken Caryl Mr Angus 8017 coming mostly through B/R New Design 036. When a carrier bull is bred to carrier females 25% of their calves will be affected. Most of these calves will be aborted early so you will see open and late calving cows. You may occasionally see one born with the defect. Your bull has a 50% chance of being a carrier. The condition was first reported on the AAA website 8-12-2013. A test is now available.

Latest posts