AI and ET Costs

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
I've been reading and thinking quite a bit about giving the artificial route a try this next year.

I've searched the forums but haven't found what I'm looking for.

All said and done, what do you all have in getting a cow pregnant through AI.

I am also interested in giving ET a try.

Thoughts and opinions are very much welcome.

It seems to be the best route to get new genetics on our farm.

Thanks in advance.

AI is inexpensive. Take a good class, buy a tank and get a few canes of the bulls that fit your needs. The whole set up can easy be done in the 1500 $ range with 3 canes of semen. Much cheaper and convenient than buying or growing a bull. Plus saving the time and facilities managing a bull.

That's what I've been thinking as to bulls.

I'm uninformed to the whole thing. Is the cane the rod thing used to insert the semen?

What about if I wanted to pay a tech to come out to perform service? Would I be throwing away a lot of $?

For a tech, depending on number of head and distance around $60 per head should cover everything using $20 semen. That will be all sync drugs and 2 trips to set them up 1 trip to breed.
If you go to school and sync them it will cost $16 for repro things needed+$20 for semen so $36 per head. On natural heat $20 for semen.
Semen can cost more!! $20 will get you a good bull
E T $60 a head to put them in + 16 for sync drugs to set up recipe, $76 per head to get it done, the embryos you can pay as much as you want id figure $250 for some decent embryos.
Cane holds the semen in the canister in the tank.

ClinchValley":2467gp3x said:
That's what I've been thinking as to bulls.

I'm uninformed to the whole thing. Is the cane the rod thing used to insert the semen?

What about if I wanted to pay a tech to come out to perform service? Would I be throwing away a lot of $?

The tank I have holds 6 canisters. A cane is placed in a canister. Each cane has 2 goblets. Upper and lower. Each goblet has 5 straws.

In my opinion, you will want to do it yourself. That way you can do it on natural heats and if you have less than 20 cows, you can easily get them bred by your own hand.

Just keep in mind that not all AI's take. There will be some percentage that don't go through the first time or even the second...

That's why most places have a cleanup bull but to each their own.

Also, if you are a registered guy it is much better to have them synced. Just my opinion.

"Also, if you are a registered guy it is much better to have them synced. Just my opinion."
Not sure the relevance of that statement - PB vs commercial??? Getting cattle bred timely, matters, no matter what your cows are???
The only difference I can see, is TIME of the producer. Some people absolutely cannot devote time into heat checking, which is the most important part of getting cattle AI bred. In that case, you are better off using a synchronizing program, as mentioned.
Granted, a lot of commercial producers do not AI.

Sync them all together and then breed the one's that don't take on an observed heat 21 plus or minus a few days later. It's very easy to tell the one's that didn't take the first time. Catching the standing heat is the hard part to AI, a good AI tech is better than a bull at putting the semen where it needs to be.

The problem with doing AI yourself is the learning curve can be expensive. I know how to AI but I don't get a high presentage settled. The only way to get good at AI is to go in a lot of cows, but at min. 20.00 a straw cost add up in a hurry. This year since I have more time I plan to AI all the heifers as they come in heat. The older cows will be synced and Mike will breed them, he has a much better conception rate than I do, but because of that I have not got as much practice as I should have. It's hard to jump in and AI knowing you won't get as many settled as someone standing right beside you.
Hopefully my % will get better, heifers are easier to breed than cows and I have semen out of a bull we collected so my cost won't be as high as it would be if I purchased from a stud. If you find you have a knack for AI it is cheaper than cost to purchase and maintain a bull. The boss had a hand injury a number of years ago that cut a tendon and damaged nerves in his hand he knows how to AI but can't feel anything when he goes in a cow. Some folks are good at it others never get the knack. Best advice is find someone putting on an AI class in your area, check through your land grant university or extension. I know some of the AI studs also put do training. Good luck, it is really exciting when you figure out you got one bred,

Gizmom

I got on the University of TN ag site and put my name on a waiting list for an AI class. Said first come first serve. Can be up to a year wait. I am going to dig some more on the net in the morning. Saw a link on UT site to select sires. Something about classes.

If anyone in the area hears of any, TN, KY, or VA it would be pretty neat to hear about it.

I really appreciate the rundown. It seems cheaper than I thought. Guess that is for run of the mill "good bulls."

Whats the deal with heifers being easier to service?

gizmom":f3sp1jyy said:
The problem with doing AI yourself is the learning curve can be expensive.

I know how to AI, but I don't get a high percentage settled.
The only way to get good at AI is to go in a lot of cows....
It's hard to jump in and AI knowing you won't get as many settled as someone standing right beside you.
:nod:

The true cost of learning A.I. is often minimized for a variety of reasons.
IF do it yourself was as easy, cheap and successful as many make it out to be, you'd be seeing a lot fewer bulls sold.

ClinchValley":wno4tjbt said:
I got on the University of TN ag site and put my name on a waiting list for an AI class. Said first come first serve. Can be up to a year wait. I am going to dig some more on the net in the morning. Saw a link on UT site to select sires. Something about classes.

If anyone in the area hears of any, SE Kentucky or SW Virginia, it would be pretty neat to hear about it.

I really appreciate the rundown. It seems cheaper than I thought. Guess that is for run of the mill "good bulls."

Contact Select Sires. They have classes.

Robert Dragland, Lewisburg, TN
Phone: (931) 637-1103
Email: [email protected]

Bob Palmore, Chapmansboro, TN
Phone: (502) 542-0284
Email: [email protected]

Marcus Starnes, Greeneville,TN
Phone: (423) 329-7247 Email: [email protected]

Regarding AI of heifers. It makes no difference. Heifer or cow. I have been very successful breeding my heifers. Their cervix is smaller but the technique is the same.

ClinchValley":31wyy25c said:

If anyone in the area hears of any, SE Kentucky or SW Virginia, it would be pretty neat to hear about it.

Contact ABS, they have schools throughout the southeast. You can get your hand around the cervix easily because it's smaller and most of the time the cervix isn't folded or twisted.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":393fi05p said:
"Also, if you are a registered guy it is much better to have them synced. Just my opinion."
Not sure the relevance of that statement - PB vs commercial??? Getting cattle bred timely, matters, no matter what your cows are???
The only difference I can see, is TIME of the producer. Some people absolutely cannot devote time into heat checking, which is the most important part of getting cattle AI bred. In that case, you are better off using a synchronizing program, as mentioned.
Granted, a lot of commercial producers do not AI.

We are commercial for sure. But was thinking through ET we could get something different going.

I don't really see the point in not synching them. Seems it would make life a lot easier.

The Select Sires Class is in Spring Hill in the spring.
I don't find heifers to be any easier. I can do 50 cows and be ready for more, 50 heifers and my arm hurts.

gizmom":1m4804f9 said:
The problem with doing AI yourself is the learning curve can be expensive. I know how to AI but I don't get a high presentage settled. The only way to get good at AI is to go in a lot of cows, but at min. 20.00 a straw cost add up in a hurry. This year since I have more time I plan to AI all the heifers as they come in heat. The older cows will be synced and Mike will breed them, he has a much better conception rate than I do, but because of that I have not got as much practice as I should have. It's hard to jump in and AI knowing you won't get as many settled as someone standing right beside you.
Hopefully my % will get better, heifers are easier to breed than cows and I have semen out of a bull we collected so my cost won't be as high as it would be if I purchased from a stud. If you find you have a knack for AI it is cheaper than cost to purchase and maintain a bull. The boss had a hand injury a number of years ago that cut a tendon and damaged nerves in his hand he knows how to AI but can't feel anything when he goes in a cow. Some folks are good at it others never get the knack. Best advice is find someone putting on an AI class in your area, check through your land grant university or extension. I know some of the AI studs also put do training. Good luck, it is really exciting when you figure out you got one bred,

Gizmom
I'd also add, that once you take classes... See if a friend who is familiar with AI, is willing to assist you. We AI approx. 300 of our own and my husband AI's for area cattlemen also. They (other cattlemen) took classes last spring and my husband was on standby to walk/talk them through each that they struggled with. Will learn a lot more with someone by your side than you will in class, since the classes can't possibly teach you all the variables and it is easy to get frustrated. I do not personally AI but I do assist and even veteran AI'ers can find that one cow that gives them a run for their money.

We sync our heats and group them for such. Our heifers are always first, etc... First calving date is approaching, 12/24! We have a 60 day calving window, anything that hasn't by then... Gets sold bred.

bse":2w121vab said:
I don't find heifers to be any easier. I can do 50 cows and be ready for more, 50 heifers and my arm hurts.
Agreed. My husband has massive arms and hands. He hates breeding heifers. They'll numb his arm.

bse":382t4usx said:

Barry. I don't do large numbers but as far as doing a heifer or a cow, makes no difference to me. I got a cow that is very docile until I breed her. Last year she squirmed so bad it made the whole experience awful for both of us. I got 2 doses of xylazine from the vet so when she comes in this year, I will give her a dose in the neck ( ;-) ) and wait 20 to 30 minutes before I AI her. On the other hand, my heifers last year were easy.