ai and cink

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
thinking about going ai this next breeding season. was going to cink them so i dont have to get the ai bloke out all the time. what are peoples thoughts on cink. does it work every time or is it hit and miss.

Just sent two groups through a week apart. Of the first group - only one showed heat. The others I did timed ai, but the cervix dilation sure didn't indicate they were in heat at all. The next week the whole group stood and bred real easy. I sure prefer doing it on natural heat . . . but then again, I am my own ai bloke.

It takes alot of faith to do timed AI on your own cows. That last shot stops the heat cycle cold so if it's done properly you see very few heats. It's pretty frustrating for anyone who gets satisfaction from real heat detection. BUT, they all cycle and you get to breed the ones that weren't going to show you a heat anyway. If you follow it up with heat detection and breeding twenty through twenty-four days later, you stand a chance to get most of your cows AI bred with only four days of real heat detection.

Used a number of different systems but for us the most effective (cost and conception) system has been the CIDR for 7 days, shot of estrumate and pull CIDR then breed off observed heats. Synchrony is usually pretty good, expect about 75% of them in within a 36hr period. The key to successful AI is accurate heat detection, there is a sufficiently big enough window for actual AI that anytime between 12 and 24hrs from onset of heat will give you good conception. The second key is days post-partum and condition of cows/heifers, this is related to nutrition and management (also prior management, cows/heifers that have had a difficult or stressful calving will be poor candidates for a synch program that seeks to bring them forward.)

I am in the later stages of setup for a 7am breeding on Dec 12th.

I am using the 6G6 protocol this year. first time for that.

I have had good results with timed AI. Had better results with resyncing non responders so the pre-sync of 6G6 appealled to me. Only doing four head this year.

I chalked tail heads with the first shot and after the first week all chalk was rubbed off of all cows and needed to rechalk. shot tomorrow. shot saturday and breed sunday.

Have you found a good ai bull for next season? I've heard that natural heat is always better. I have "ai lisence" so it's easier for me.