Agus average birthweight

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer":1a1739su said:
What is the average birthweight for registered angus in pounds. Like 72?
Thanks

I think a couple of years ago it was like 81lbs for bulls and 76lbs for heifers..........

denoginnizer":32q21npt said:
What is the average birthweight for registered angus in pounds. Like 72?
Thanks

Good memory, Oldtimer. From the Spring 2005 Angus Sire summary, the average BW for Angus bull calves reported in the AHIR program in 2003 was 81 lbs. Average for heifers was 76 lbs. I guess the 2004 data isn't available yet.

Does anyone know of a website that gives the average birthweight, in pounds, for most/all the popular cattle breeds? I am interested in comparing several breeds. Also is calving ease direct a universal number? For example, If a black angus has a calving ease of +4 and a charolais has a calving ease number of +4 does this mean they are equal to each other in calving ease?

denoginnizer":1h8j8d2t said:
Does anyone know of a website that gives the average birthweight, in pounds, for most/all the popular cattle breeds? I am interested in comparing several breeds. Also is calving ease direct a universal number? For example, If a black angus has a calving ease of +4 and a charolais has a calving ease number of +4 does this mean they are equal to each other in calving ease?

you have to use conversions to be able to accurately compare most any EPDs across breeds.. the only things that could be the same are carcass merit EPDs, but I'm not sure if they are the same or not...

denoginnizer":1wn0of86 said:
One of you guys dont happen to rember what they are for Charolais do you?

You might contact the Charolais Association and ask. I think they're http://www.charolaisusa.com. This is the first year Angus has had calving ease EPDs, so I'm not too up to date on it. We've always used the BW EPD as a calving ease indicator. I do think the higher the number, the better. But don't know if a 4 for one breed is the same as another. I'd doubt it, since a BW EPD of "4" is not the same from one breed to another.

People ask such good questions on this board. I hope someone can give you a real answer to this one. I'd like to know, too.

Simmental was the first to use CE EPD. We have direct and maternal, I believe Angus does also. Anyway, the higher the number the better. In our breed +10 is recommended for use on british first calf heifers.
Hope this helps.

Hereford has a direct and maternal calving ease EPD as well. I think this is the second or third year for it. There are some bulls that have a BW as high as 4 or so, and still have a positive calving ease EPD. Yes, Frankie, the higher the # so long as it has a + in front of it, the better. Many bulls with poor direct calving ease have positive maternal calving ease.