how much average to raise a calve

Help Support CattleToday:

ranching mn

Reaction score
(And the best time to sell it)
Hey I been looking into getting into the cattle business as a side job, I work for a farmer who has around 80 head, so I aint all the way a newb, but I am looking into information on how much it would cost to raise a bottle calve and when to sell it. I live in sw mn, and I would be feeding hay and grain.

Rule of thumb I use it cost a 1.50 a day to maintain a cow.
Some years its lower some a little higher. I would think a bottle calf would be higher.
Milk replacer is not cheap as well as Calf feed and the time in the little devil.

ranching mn":uzdtdhwk said:
(And the best time to sell it)
Hey I been looking into getting into the cattle business as a side job, I work for a farmer who has around 80 head, so I aint all the way a newb, but I am looking into information on how much it would cost to raise a bottle calve and when to sell it. I live in sw mn, and I would be feeding hay and grain.

We have raised several bottle calves. Usually try to sell at about 550 pounds. The last few we have raised have averaged about $400 in expenses per calf. Your cost will vary depend on feed cost in your area.

Thanks yall for helpin out a little! I will for sure ask my boss. So how long about does it take to raiee to that wieght? About 500 550 lbs?

ranching mn":2bofesz5 said:
Thanks yall for helpin out a little! I will for sure ask my boss. So how long about does it take to raiee to that wieght? About 500 550 lbs?
Figure roughly 2 pound per day gain.

tom4018":106gl9rg said:
ranching mn":106gl9rg said:
Thanks tom! Definitely looking into it a lot more. But one more thing is
Breeds. I can get calves really cheap from Dairies ,
But are these jerseys and such good for reselling or would I profit better from
Something else? Thanks a heck of a lot :D

ranching mn":23zi73vo said:
tom4018":23zi73vo said:
ranching mn":23zi73vo said:
Thanks tom! Definitely looking into it a lot more. But one more thing is
Breeds. I can get calves really cheap from Dairies ,
But are these jerseys and such good for reselling or would I profit better from
Something else? Thanks a heck of a lot :D
The dairy breeds can be bought cheaper but don't sell for as much. I have not done a lot of dairy or dairy cross calves but the ones I did not gain quite as good. Others might say different but if you can average a $100 head profit you are doing pretty good.

So where would I get them beef bottlers?
I know of numerous Dairies that I could get
Calves from, and they calve all year, so I guess the
Only way to get a bottler is if the mama dies or some thing?
Thanks Tom your a great help!!!

ranching mn":1xhfhq38 said:
They sell baby beef at the stockyard, guess a lot of it depends on how many you want. We never did over 6 or 8 at once. Probably never bought over 4 in one day. You can do dairy but I don't think the profit is quite as much as beef. Takes about the same amount of money to raise either one. A lot depends on your market to sell them, some areas are a lot better with the dairy calves.

Sweet thanks! I will check out the sale barns int he area.
I think it would definitely be more profitable to raise beef but would the initial
Purchase cost be more than the profit I would gain?
Thanks again for your help.
Db

If you are raising dairy calves I would take Holsteins over Jerseys. At sale time the Holsteins will beat the jerseys by a pretty good margin.

tom4018":38u3y10y said:
ranching mn":38u3y10y said:
They sell baby beef at the stockyard, guess a lot of it depends on how many you want. We never did over 6 or 8 at once. Probably never bought over 4 in one day. You can do dairy but I don't think the profit is quite as much as beef. Takes about the same amount of money to raise either one. A lot depends on your market to sell them, some areas are a lot better with the dairy calves.

Here the ring man will split calves off of aged pairs. Someone brings in an old or older cow and there is not much bidding. They'll split the cow off and sell the calf as an idividual. Try to get one about a week old but some times you just have to take what you can get. Depends a lot on how many aged pairs there are at the sale.

A week old beef calf has had colostrums and is on his way. That is what I generally buy to graft to nurse cows. I try to stay below $250 and keep my cost to $1 a day for each calf. Wean them and put them on pasture. Sell them at around 500 lbs. That is my rule of thumb but sale timing and other things can cause a variance.

50 lb bag of milk replacer @ $80 = $1.60 lb
1 lb of milk replacer per day is the rule of thumb [8 oz twice a day]
$1.60 x 42 days = $67

A 80 lb calf gaining 2 lbs per day for 210 days [7 months] 210d x 2 = 420 lbs + 80 lbs = 500 lbs
2.25 lbs per day 2.25 x 210 = 473 lbs + 80 lbs = 553 lbs

Man sun of a butch! Thanks a lot I had it pretty good calculated
But that milk replacer quote helped out a lot!!!
Thanks a lot :Cboy:
Sb

Baby calves here are bringing $400 give or take. Wish you could buy them here for $250.

tom4018":3pa1hzry said:
Baby calves here are bringing $400 give or take. Wish you could buy them here for $250.

At $400 and kill prices, they ought to split them all.