AGROTAIN Stabilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle":1keeon7y said:
jedstivers":1keeon7y said:
Clodhopper":1keeon7y said:
You spread nitrogen on your pastures three times a year?
Was talking about crop ground in that post. However I am stepping my hay production up this year as far as quality so it will get three shots. Pasture and hay ground also get what's left over everytime we are running crops and need somewhere to get rid of the last bit.
Also not changing blends for pasture or hay. If crops aren't getting agritain nothing else will either.

If your not pulling soil samples and fertilizing accordanly your likely wasting more money then you'd spend in agrotain.
Now where in the sh! t did I say I wasn't pulling samples? Every crop acre is grid sampled every three years and a Rx written for them. Fert is applied variable rate. Lime also.
Hay and pasture acres are grid sampled but not as often. Partially cause they also get the excess that has to go somewhere when we finish a job.
And besides all that agritain goes on nitrogen. We don't sample for N, we apply according to what that crop can use.

Clodhopper":2peep5o8 said:
1wlimo":2peep5o8 said:
Clodhopper":2peep5o8 said:
That makes sense. We normally spread our pastures shortly before they take off growing in the spring, that's why we use it. Make sure it's there when it needs it right from the start.

unless you have water do not see how adding nitrogen helps much, over clover, but when you have the water required and the sunlight adding nitrogen little and often is a much better way to get the grass to grow.
Water is the reason why people spread their fertilizer on pasture and winter wheat in the late stages of winter around here. We catch a freeze to spread it on, because the large majority of our springs are wet. If you wait to spread, you may be waiting until six weeks into the growing season. That's why we use the N stabilizer. I agree, multiple applications would be better to a point, but most everyone is in the field planting or tending to crops until late summer. An early fall application is not a bad idea.

Sure fall application of N is great to allow more time for it to be leached out. Far too many people running gear that is way to heavy, or working ground they do not need to, or just using bad systems that mean they justifie using short cuts that lead to waste and a bad name for agriculture due to environmental damage.

1wlimo":2luqiz66 said:
Clodhopper":2luqiz66 said:
1wlimo":2luqiz66 said:
unless you have water do not see how adding nitrogen helps much, over clover, but when you have the water required and the sunlight adding nitrogen little and often is a much better way to get the grass to grow.
Water is the reason why people spread their fertilizer on pasture and winter wheat in the late stages of winter around here. We catch a freeze to spread it on, because the large majority of our springs are wet. If you wait to spread, you may be waiting until six weeks into the growing season. That's why we use the N stabilizer. I agree, multiple applications would be better to a point, but most everyone is in the field planting or tending to crops until late summer. An early fall application is not a bad idea.

Sure fall application of N is great to allow more time for it to be leached out. Far too many people running gear that is way to heavy, or working ground they do not need to, or just using bad systems that mean they justifie using short cuts that lead to waste and a bad name for agriculture due to environmental damage.
Although I normally don't fall apply pasture, a small late summer/fall application is recommended in this part of the world. Fescue takes off hard in the spring, slows down in the heat of summer, and has a late season bump in growth when the weather cools down, which will utilize the N. There is no fall application of N on row crop ground here, although it happens a couple hundred miles to my north. I have no idea of farming practices in your area, I would have a lot of nerve trying to tell you what to do at your place that has different soil types, climate, and crops.
For the record, I am nearly 100% no-till and have been for years, use grassed waterways and buffers, do some cover cropping, and grid map for fertilizer application on my farm ground, but thanks for the sermon. I will also say that besides the environmental aspect, I can't throw fertilizer in any form out there just to waste it, I have to be cost effective.

1wlimo":2g212lub said:
Clodhopper":2g212lub said:
1wlimo":2g212lub said:

You down understand what your trying to talk about.
Your in Canada. He's in IL. The works isn't the same all over.
We run N in late Jan or February on winter wheat. If we don't it won't yield.
Do you need to run then? Prol not.

jedstivers":3ck5txjt said:
tdc_cattle":3ck5txjt said:
jedstivers":3ck5txjt said:
Was talking about crop ground in that post. However I am stepping my hay production up this year as far as quality so it will get three shots. Pasture and hay ground also get what's left over everytime we are running crops and need somewhere to get rid of the last bit.
Also not changing blends for pasture or hay. If crops aren't getting agritain nothing else will either.

If your not pulling soil samples and fertilizing accordanly your likely wasting more money then you'd spend in agrotain.
Now where in the sh! t did I say I wasn't pulling samples? Every crop acre is grid sampled every three years and a Rx written for them. Fert is applied variable rate. Lime also.
Hay and pasture acres are grid sampled but not as often. Partially cause they also get the excess that has to go somewhere when we finish a job.
And besides all that agritain goes on nitrogen. We don't sample for N, we apply according to what that crop can use.

You said you don't change blends. I don't know how you accurately VR apply across multiple crops without changing blends.

Agritain is for urea. There are multiple forms of nitrogen that don't need it.

With vr there is no blend of p and k. They are separate and not mixed togather. Either run both in the truck at once in a twin bin set up or more common is we run all the K on a field as every single acre will get some even if it's the minimum we have set. P doesn't go on a lot of acres so if the rows line up with the areas needing it we will load just P and hit those areas. If they don't line up right we have one of each in the truck.
Cotton and soybeans get the same Rx for P & K. Corn and Milo each fave diffrent Rx's.
Cotton gets 110 units of N. Corn gets 180. Milo gets 120. Usually a 100 lbs. of AMS is in the N rate.
We blend AMS and urea, that's what I won't change blends for. If it's running the pasture get the same.
I still don't get where you say I'm not sampling.
My ferterlizer program is pretty complex to say the least.
We run over a million lbs. a year of diffrent stuff.
Somewhere in all that there's broke down trucks, wet loads, rain outs and a few other things that happen on a day to day basis. That's where the pasture fertlize comes in. We sling it there.
Our grid samples also give lime recemndations, we vr it too. Pastures also.

jedstivers":3qvvxzbb said:
1wlimo":3qvvxzbb said:
Clodhopper":3qvvxzbb said:

Yes timing here would be very different, but water logged soil is water logged soil, and frozen is frozen.

1wlimo":34swa93c said:
jedstivers":34swa93c said:
1wlimo":34swa93c said:

Yes timing here would be very different, but water logged soil is water logged soil, and frozen is frozen.
So what's your advice? Tear the heck out of it when it's waterlogged, or put a safe, stable product on when we can minimize damage and maximize efficiency? Plant no winter wheat or similar hay crops at all? Please enlighten us.

Clodhopper":26ulj8sa said:
1wlimo":26ulj8sa said:
jedstivers":26ulj8sa said:

So what's your advice? Tear the heck out of it when it's waterlogged, or put a safe, stable product on when we can minimize damage and maximize efficiency? Plant no winter wheat or similar hay crops at all? Please enlighten us.

In puts are expensive so applying them where there can be run off is simply inefficient.

Waterlogged soil is bad for root and microbial life so needs to be avoided. It is certainly not a good time to apply nutrients, or to expect the soil to make them available to plants. Avoiding water logging by improving soil structure, use of drainage etc reduces these issues.

Application can be made with lighter machines, with a lower ground pressure without excessive damage earlier than with many of the heavy machines marketed today.

With pasture, unless you live in a high rainfall area I would have to ask if applying nitrogen pencils at all. Compared to a high legume pasture, you need to have a lot of growth before the nitrogen fixated by the root nodule's is fully utilised by the pasture as a whole. Here certainly the addition of nitrogen to a mixed pasture is wasteful.

Winter wheat is a useful crop, and when I grew up many thought that the application of a small amount of fall applied N was of use. it has been proven in the UK that it is not. There is more than sufficient nutrients to carry a crop thru the fall and into the spring. Yes early as possible application is required, but the soil needs to be bioactive prior to nutrients being available. So water logged soils are not a good time to apply nutrients.

Water logged soils can be agreed upon. However on medium to large scale farming operations, most often perfect conditions on a regular basis is a pipedream. Antique small equipment will often greatly shorten your ideal conditions. I spread n on pasture today. Yes I know n is bad for soil. Burns up organic matter, humus and lowers ph. Will I see more growth because I put out n in a soil tested mixture today. You bet I will.

I would think a fertilize buggy and a tractor to pull it would put about all operations on an level playing field, as far as application time goes.