Help Support CattleToday:

Feeling old is as much a mental thing as it is physical. Physically, I started to feel it when I was in my mid 40's. I'm 57 now. That's when I had to give up softball because I kept turning ankles and pulling muscles which caused me to miss time from work. Knees and lower back started giving me trouble at work, too. Gave up booze and can't eat some of the things I used to. Have to be careful in the hot sun, which I never had a problem with when I was younger. I've learned to pace myself instead of going all out like I used to. All in all, I'm still doing pretty good. Still working a physical job, but not as demanding as when I drove for UPS. From what I see every day I can still out work most men my age and a heckuva lot much younger than me. A lot of that has to do with the desire to do a good job and not just the ability.

The only birthday that ever bothered me was when I turned 25. I guess it was because I was on the downside to 30 and that seemed really old back then. Never given it a second thought since then. I was actually counting the days to 50 because that's when I was able to start drawing a pension from UPS. I don't really feel as old as I am, not that 57 is all that old.

I have so much to be thankful for, especially my five grandchildren, that I don't dwell too much on getting older or worrying about what used to be. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at right now.

I'm certainly still on the young side of most of the members here, but I sadly and clearly remember the first time I fell down... and it really hurt just hitting the ground. Sure made me feel old for a day or two.

I figure everytime I have a birthday it is a good thing. I have noticed in the last couple of years (59 now) there are some things that just seem to be harder. I was putting the bush hog on the tractor the other day. Used to be if it wasn't lined up just right, I would grab ahold and give it a tug. I don't seem to have the strength for that anymore. Had to go to the barn and get a pry bar.

My 25th bothered me but only because everyone kept giving me a bad time about being 2 and a half decades, a quarter of a century old.
I think the first one that bothers me now will be the first one that I'm not alive for.

farmwriter":2yimjrzk said:
I'm certainly still on the young side of most of the members here, but I sadly and clearly remember the first time I fell down... and it really hurt just hitting the ground. Sure made me feel old for a day or two.
My first year or two of college I would fall down at least once per day. Knee would just give out on me but I never knew which one was going to collapse.

As I got older my knees got a lot better with working out with weights. So I guess I got younger?
Working on a few other ailments right now. I trust that I am going to get younger again.

Ryder":1zqs5n98 said:
farmwriter":1zqs5n98 said:
My first year or two of college I would fall down at least once per day. Knee would just give out on me but I never knew which one was going to collapse.

As I got older my knees got a lot better with working out with weights. So I guess I got younger?
Working on a few other ailments right now. I trust that I am going to get younger again.
you will, count on it... pretty soon you'll have no hair, no teeth.. and wear a diaper just like the day you were born :lol:

At 50 they made me turn in my cape an leotards with the big S on the chest.
Now at 62 I just point an others make the great leaps.
worst Bday was 40,Got a fire extinguisher to put out the candles on the cake. Fire extinguisher saved my combine a week later,no bday has bothered me since.

My 30th birthday bothered me the most. I think it was because I was turning into one of "Them", whoever "Them" were. Van, I played league softball until two years ago. At times I stumbled, fell and had to crawl to base, but I could hit singles much better at 54 than I could at 25. I guess physically I feel old every morning when I'm getting out of bed, but a couple cups of coffee and I'm just a young as I ever was... mentality.

No birthday really bothered me but don't remember any really standing out. I guess they've all been good. I began to really realize I was slowing down about 5 years ago. Tried to run down a cow and get in front of her and turn her....felt like I was running as fast as ever, but when she out ran me I stopped, looked back and I hadn't gone 30 yards. Still am about 16 at heart but body reminds me of the truth often.

good answers-My 30th B-day bothered me, because I think it was the end of a era, 20's was fun, 30's was more work, and now that I'm 46 yep I do feel it, things that didn't hurt even 5 years ago do, a few knee aches, can't chase those baby calves around like I use to-still do it, but I'm slower at it-lil things like that.

slick4591":30kqg6k2 said:
My 30th birthday bothered me the most. I think it was because I was turning into one of "Them", whoever "Them" were. Van, I played league softball until two years ago. At times I stumbled, fell and had to crawl to base, but I could hit singles much better at 54 than I could at 25. I guess physically I feel old every morning when I'm getting out of bed, but a couple cups of coffee and I'm just a young as I ever was... mentality.

Slick, I do miss playing ball. I love sports, and baseball and softball were the only ones I ever got half good at. Been seeing a chiropracter for about 5 years now so the back is much better. The knees are better since I don't have to climb in and out of a truck 100 times a day and use a clutch 400 times a day. Been thinking about joining the 55 and over league and seeing if I've still got something left. Probably break my leg first time I tried to run, though. :lol2: Wouldn't be much fun playing in this heat, either.

When I was a kid, I broke every bone in my left foot and most of them just fused together. About the time I turned 30, that foot started to bother me more and more. Now it hurts everyday. I noticed I was slowing down last year at 36. I hurts too much to push my body the way I did when I was in my 20s. Those years at 10-35 where I never stopped are catching up with me early

the day i realized i was going down hill was the day my oldest son was in training for a baseball showcase his junior year.
i had always been able to out run him in the 40yds, til that day and haven't raced him since.
he still gives me a hard time about it but at the showcase he was clock with a 4.4 in the 40

I've never taken the time to get old. :)
I can remember thinking 30 was old then 40 and then came 50,(over the hill)then there was 60.
Now at 68 ,as long as I can do as I do now I don't even worry about it.
However I do realize that someday at some point the world I thought I had by the tail is going to grab me by the a$$. :lol: :lol:

Cal

The birthdays don't bother me. It's the lookin at my Dad that bothers me. He is 20yrs older and I keep sayin to myself I only got 20 yrs before that's me.... :frowns:

On the other hand except for being 30lbs too heavy right now, I feel great, so who cares?

Latest posts