Age preference?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
We are looking for a heifer for our daughter to show. Someone mention she would be better off with a Nov. heifer than a Sept. one. They were saying it would help her in the classes. Any thoughts?

cowboybeef":2bc16mi3 said:
it depends how old is your daughter

They were saying the Sept. heifer would be less competitive than a Nov one. They were talking about how the classes would be. She is in high school.

In my opinion, a Sept calf would be more competitive because it is older, and thats what I would chose. (the oldest heifer in a class, usually wins around here.) I think that chosing a fall calf (born in sept. 06) would be a great choice for your daughter because she can train her while she is young, and then bring her back next year as one of the oldest heifers. Around here sept-dec class is also a lot smaller than traditional spring born classes. If you are looking at an 05 fall calf, than she will be a senior yearling this year, will be big, and better be trained when you buy her. (or she's gonna be trouble) If you are looking for any age heifer, January/March calves usually compete well.

There will be many more Sept. heifer entries in a Show than Nov. heifers, therefore less competition in class. September and March are usually the largest number classes, with July and December the lowest. Depending on your Show season, the birth date really doesn't matter with heifers like it does for steers. In most areas, heifers can Show until their second birthday.

If you need more information, please send me a PM.

AAOK-Do you show by month? We show by three "age divisions" Fall (sept-dec) Spring (Jan-April) and Summer (June-Aug) So thats why im sayin go with a Sept, they will be oldest. But I guess its just how your classes are divided. Around here, they have 1 show season unless they are born in sept-dec.

karlie45":1v3dg7fj said:
AAOK-Do you show by month? We show by three "age divisions" Fall (sept-dec) Spring (Jan-April) and Summer (June-Aug) So thats why im sayin go with a Sept, they will be oldest. But I guess its just how your classes are divided. Around here, they have 1 show season unless they are born in sept-dec.

In our part of the world, most of the Shows are Jackpots, and classes are broken by age depending on how many, and what ages show up. Class breaks try to be no more than two months, but may vary. Heifers can show through their 24th month.

Most County and State Shows work the same format as the National Shows. Heifers will have a minimum of 5 Divisions; Junior Heifer Calf, Senior Heifer Calf, Summer Heifer, Junior Heifer, and Senior Heifer . Any Division might have a I. II. or III. depending on how many are entered in that Division. A larger show may have 3 or 4 Classes within a Division. Rarely is there EVER a class with an age break of more than 2 months.

We have shows Year-Round, with the majority being Sept. - March.

Latest posts