Ag Secretary Veneman Expected To Resign Today

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus

Reaction score
BreakingNews ............................................................11-15-2004

Ag Secretary Veneman Expected To Resign Today

At press time, national news services were reporting that Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneman would be among four Bush Cabinet members who would submit their resignations to the President today. The others are Secretary of State Colin Powell, Secretary of Education Rod Paige and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham.

Just last week, Veneman, the first woman to ever head USDA, had indicated during her weekly press conference that she was interested in continuing as Ag Secretary for the second Bush term, if the President chose to retain her.

A California native, Veneman has served during a tumultuous four years punctuated with a series of ag disasters. A long-term drought has plagued large portions of the central and western U.S., and hurricanes have ravaged the Southeast. Meanwhile, the 9/11 terrorist attacks, followed by the discovery of BSE in Japan and Russia's ban on U.S. poultry exports in 2001, and the discoveries of BSE in Canada in 2003 and in the U.S. in December 2004, have kept U.S. ag balanced on a high wire.

Nonetheless, U.S. ag, particularly the livestock sector, has recorded strong demand and record prices during Veneman's tenure. She did, however, encounter much criticism for certain aspects of USDA's response to the discovery of BSE in the U.S.

Reuters reported today that possible replacements include Allen Johnson, a negotiator with the U.S. Trade Representative's office, White House ag advisor Chuck Conner, or Texas Rep. Charles Stenholm. Stenholm is a Democrat and farm policy expert who lost his seat this month after a 26-year career in the House.

Bush/Cheney

That's a good post, LA. Thanks. Guess I'm one of the few that doesn't have any big complaints about Secretary Veneman. Don't guess we've had one in a long time that all of us liked. At least she's been more production oriented than consumer oriented. And I think everyone will have to admit that she's been dealt some pretty sorry cards and we're all still in reasonably good shape. So no complaints from me about her.

That said, I sure would like to see Stenholm as her replacement. He would have been my choice for the first term, but now I don't see that he has any excuse not to serve if asked. And I really expect the President to ask him, in spite of his party affiliation. Charlie Stenholm has been a great friend to those of us in agriculture for a long time and we would be very fortunate to have him running USDA. He's got a lot of common sense and a great background in agriculture. Real producers that know him personally like him and respect him. He'd be a great choice in my opinion.

Texan":8yx7vb95 said:
That said, I sure would like to see Stenholm as her replacement. He would have been my choice for the first term, but now I don't see that he has any excuse not to serve if asked. And I really expect the President to ask him, in spite of his party affiliation. Charlie Stenholm has been a great friend to those of us in agriculture for a long time and we would be very fortunate to have him running USDA. He's got a lot of common sense and a great background in agriculture. Real producers that know him personally like him and respect him. He'd be a great choice in my opinion.

Texan, I sure have to agree on Charlie Stenholm. I think he would be an excellent man for those of us in agriculture.
It has been a long time since we have had a real Agri. Oriented person as secretary of the USDA. Like you said Anne Venemon had a sorry deck of cards delt from the start I at first didn't have the quarrel that many others had, but I think she has been dragging her rear on the BSE related issues in regards to getting the export mkts opened again and the COOL thing going, which isn't related just to meat products but all agriculture products.

la4angus":1ss8v2yk said:
Texan":1ss8v2yk said:

Texan, I sure have to agree on Charlie Stenholm. I think he would be an excellent man for those of us in agriculture.
It has been a long time since we have had a real Agri. Oriented person as secretary of the USDA. Like you said Anne Venemon had a sorry deck of cards delt from the start I at first didn't have the quarrel that many others had, but I think she has been dragging her rear on the BSE related issues in regards to getting the export mkts opened again and the COOL thing going, which isn't related just to meat products but all agriculture products.

With the Senate Republican majority of 55 seats, COOL is probably dead.
This is one bad thing about the Bush admisinstraion he opposes COOLl and so do a lot of Republican senators.

Latest posts