ag class

Help Support CattleToday:

Tejas

Reaction score
If you were had to pick one class to take in order to improve as a cattleman which one would you choose?

Farm Management. Three semester hours. Techniques and procedures used for decision making in the farm business. Determination of optimum enterprise choice, resource combination and techniques of financial management, budgeting, and whole farm/ranch planning.
3.000 3.000 Credit Hours
3.000 Lecture hours

OR

Introduction to Range Management. Three semester hours. Principles of range management include plant identification, plant growth and nutrient cycling, range inventory (evaluation, condition, and improvement) and the effects of grazing.
3.000 3.000 Credit Hours
3.000 Lecture hours

You need to take both...is this an either or question, or is this a which class should I take next semester question.

They're both important, good classes. But, does the same professor teach each class each time? I'm asking because both classes are important enough that you need to get a good prof for each class.

Sometimes range management is a blow off course to some profs.

Alice

the problem is that they are offered at the exact same time. Only one is an option. I suppose I could take the other in a future semester, but it may not be offered again when it fits my schedule, etc. I am graduating soon too.

Which do you know more about without taking the course? Take the one you know the least about. If they are equal I would go with the range management.

i would take the farm management class. though the range management would be far more interesting, the farm management class in the long run will do you more good. you can pick up the range management stuff along the way but you need to learn how to get your ducks in order so you can get and maintain a range first. also, the farm managment course will come closer to filling other requirements should you decide to pursue another related area of study in addition to the one you are now. it may be boring but important.

Tejas":29p8ny8m said:
the problem is that they are offered at the exact same time. Only one is an option. I suppose I could take the other in a future semester, but it may not be offered again when it fits my schedule, etc. I am graduating soon too.

If you are a graduating senior they should offer one or the other as a problems course, I would think. Approach your advisor about that.

Alice

I did...in the ag dept. I did the TJANR...

Alice

Thats neat.
I love that area...was in Santo recently...going to stephenville on new years eve

Tejas":6lsarpqj said:
Thats neat.
I love that area...was in Santo recently...going to stephenville on new years eve

Just be very careful...those New Year's Eve parties can get outta hand at those private clubs...and that's all there is in S'ville. I think I'll just hang at the farm. If there's a low cloud cover I can hear the music coming from Hard 8...and the sirens.

Alice

Might not hurt to try to see if you can book a room at one of the motels to sleep it off. I know, I'm sounding like mom now, but...

Enjoy yourself...and be safe.

Alice

Think I would go with Range Management. The "Introductory" part is what I don't like but you could do a whole bunch of studying.

There are a lot of good folks in the Santo area. You be careful New Years.

The two were a combined major at Wyoming in the 70s. They just called it Agri-Business and Range Management. Of course there weren't many farm kids either. In those days a B.S. would land you a job as an asst. extention agent IF there were any openings.Z

back a million years ago when I was in college (ok, 25) the class title wasn't always as important as who was teaching the class

Some professors or grad assistants were great and others were just awful - I planned a few classes around the instructor and was very glad to have done so - although there were a few times when I'd sign up for Dr. So and So's class and in the fall he would no longer be teaching - it was now assigned to Dr. New Guy - :roll:

mdmdogs3":3g6cdoto said:
back a million years ago when I was in college (ok, 25) the class title wasn't always as important as who was teaching the class

Some professors or grad assistants were great and others were just awful - I planned a few classes around the instructor and was very glad to have done so - although there were a few times when I'd sign up for Dr. So and So's class and in the fall he would no longer be teaching - it was now assigned to Dr. New Guy - :roll:

Good point!

Your location says East Texas. Forage management in East Texas is way different than range science. I would take the managmeent class and try to get a forage problems class.

Not sure if you're at the same university as I am...but I happen to be taking intro to range management next semester. I'm taking farm management another semester.. if you've got another semester open later, I say take em both!

Jay

Tejas":26oovhsc said:
If you were had to pick one class to take in order to improve as a cattleman which one would you choose?

Farm Management. Three semester hours. Techniques and procedures used for decision making in the farm business. Determination of optimum enterprise choice, resource combination and techniques of financial management, budgeting, and whole farm/ranch planning.
3.000 3.000 Credit Hours
3.000 Lecture hours

OR

Introduction to Range Management. Three semester hours. Principles of range management include plant identification, plant growth and nutrient cycling, range inventory (evaluation, condition, and improvement) and the effects of grazing.
3.000 3.000 Credit Hours
3.000 Lecture hours

Neither. Change your Major to something you can make a living with.

MikeC":1fv6t6u9 said:
Tejas":1fv6t6u9 said:

3.000 3.000 Credit Hours
3.000 Lecture hours

OR

3.000 3.000 Credit Hours
3.000 Lecture hours

Neither. Change your Major to something you can make a living with.

true dat!

Latest posts