Afterbirth

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
Had to jack a dead calf out of a heifer Friday night. Seen her this morning and she's still got about 4 ft of afterbirth hanging out.how long do you all wait until you intervene? Shed grazing and seemed fine.

I'd try and give her some boluses if possible, otherwise keep a close eye on her and her appetite, if she gets slow, I'd give her LA200. Lute may be of help too.

If they're eating and seem fine, I don't worry too much about it. But if she's where you can get her in the chute or alley, sometimes all they need is a gentle pull to 'get it over the hump' - if it's all detached but just lying in there. However, if it seems to still be attached, do not try to pull it loose.
I'll sometimes just knot up what's hanging out so that it continues to exert some weight without getting snagged & torn off.

Depending on how long the calf was dead antibiotics may be helpful . Also you could give her a shot of prostaglandin to help her clean . Otherwise as was stated , keep a close eye on her and go from there.

Within 3 days of calving you can give them a shot of oxytocin and that should make them clean. Some suggest a shot of prostaglandin and a shot of oxytocin. After 3 days there are no longer hormone receptors active in the uterus and manual cleaning the the only way to get it out.

What if it never comes out? I have a cow that had a calf a month ago and seen her string hanging out 2-3 days after and then it was gone. Did she shed it? She still looks "fat" in her gut like she still has something in there, but her hip bones show horrible, can't put weight on her, and she breaths 100 X a minute with her tongue hanging out and mouth open at times. It's been a month, and dunno what I should do now..

machslammer":3fnraiyt said:
What if it never comes out? I have a cow that had a calf a month ago and seen her string hanging out 2-3 days after and then it was gone. Did she shed it? She still looks "fat" in her gut like she still has something in there, but her hip bones show horrible, can't put weight on her, and she breaths 100 X a minute with her tongue hanging out and mouth open at times. It's been a month, and dunno what I should do now..
If it isn't hotter then heck there, then you have a sick cow machslammer. You need to get her in and have the vet out.

x1 BCG
if a vet is unavailable, I'd start with taking her temp, but the sounds of it, she is going to be hot. That means probably LA200, and determining where the infection is. If it is still placenta, I would give her a shot of lute. Don't know if giving something like dexamethazone or oxytocin would be of any additional help clearing her out.

A month out, any placental tissue that may have been retained is just 'soup' now.
But... if there was another calf in there that didn't make it out... it'd be 'chunky soup'.

I've seen cows with degenerating calves inside them that you had to scoop out in chunks, by the handful, still peacefully eating and chewing their cuds - and others with a 'fresh' dead one inside 'em that were on death's door... there's no way to predict which way they'll go.

machslammer":294uk10q said:
So how would you get all that out and get her better? Just la 200? And rake it out and should clear up or what? Thanks
If a dead calf were the case, she could be septic. (Blood infection). You better get a vet out to make a proper diagnosis. It could be a number of things. Panting could be a sign of heart problems, pneumonia, heat or a very sick cow.

Well she cleaned out on her own and seems to be doing fine. Really disappointed thought because she is such a nice gentle heifer. Had hopes of keeping her around for many yrs. guess now I will let her eat for a month or so and take her to the sale.

piedmontese":4akprcvc said:
Well she cleaned out on her own and seems to be doing fine. Really disappointed thought because she is such a nice gentle heifer. Had hopes of keeping her around for many yrs. guess now I will let her eat for a month or so and take her to the sale.
I would want to know why you lost the calf before shipping her. Was it too big, presented wrong, ect.. If it wasn't her fault, why ship her if you like her that much? It may never happen again.

Piedmontese, Since september isn't a typical calving time, is she out of sych, or do you fall calf? If this dead calf wasn't her fault, I could see giving her another chance if she's good in other respects. Does she seem like she's got a good bag that'll raise a big calf? Good to hear she cleaned out without complications at least.

Calf was 77 lbs and presented correctly. Had a bit of a large head but I think that was mostly due to swelling. I would keep her but I'm just worried she may have trouble again. She had a real nice bag and was really trying to mother the dead calf.she weighed about 1,050 lbs herself.

piedmontese":1kxk4ezm said:
Calf was 77 lbs and presented correctly. Had a bit of a large head but I think that was mostly due to swelling. I would keep her but I'm just worried she may have trouble again. She had a real nice bag and was really trying to mother the dead calf.she weighed about 1,050 lbs herself.

ME personally I would give her another chance if she is only a cull because of the dead calf. sometimes things happen at no fault of the cow. now if she was a sale barn cow and you have no history on her she could have been a problem for the PO and that is why she sold. If you feel she should be sold then sell her.

Latest posts