after birth

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
How long will a first time heifer hang on to the after birth after calving? How long is too long?

rc":10frid68 said:
How long will a first time heifer hang on to the after birth after calving? How long is too long?

A week to 10 days in some cases. Unless she gets sickish, just lerave it, she'll shed it when it's time.

dun

Thanks Dun, It's been about 3 days and it looks like it's still dropping. She's a little thing and kinda weak from having the calf (which is fine) so I'm feeding her well. Around here it's really hard to find a vet who does cows. I don't even know of one, so it's do it yourself stuff and this board is the first place i check with.

it will work on out a little along and along. just give her some time.

As it hangs further, if it gets to thepoint that it's dragging, tie it back to itself (hold your nose) so that it just above the middle of the udder or a little higher. That way the calf can nurse without getting into it and it won;t tear as it pulls out.

dun

Maybe by the time I get home today it will have dropped. It's in the high 80's here today. It should be getting ripe.

rc":3dspimnm said:
Maybe by the time I get home today it will have dropped. It's in the high 80's here today. It should be getting ripe.

The ripening is a natural process but it doesn;t have anything to do with passing it. It has to disconnect from the cotelydons or carnucles, don;t recall which is the usterus side and which is the placenta side. If you envision a snap liek on a shirt, the snap part that comes off is the placenta side, the post part is the uterus side.

dun