After a Premium Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
Next Tuesday i am going to my first Premium Auction here it town and i need to know how you go about the whole thing. We show on Monday the 25th then (come back/or leave calves there) On Tuesday the 26th and sell. How do i go about inviting possible bidders(banker, business,rich neighbors)? Then when we show and go through the sale should you dress as showmanship or school FFA jacket (since it is a junior show) Also after the sale and when you get your winning bidder i have heard that you should send a thank you card to follow up the invatation, even if they don't "BUY" you completly. just bid on you to raise the bid. THEN when sending the thank you card do you enclose a Picture of Showman,Cow,Buyer? I thought that would be kinda neat to take a picture with them then get it printed and sent to them. ALSO i have heard like 1 person tell me that they went and bought the buyer dinner.
Any thought? Comments?
I would really like some feed back so i can thank them properly and not seem like an ungratefull young man.

at our premium shows the bidders just show up. so im no help there. and for dress, is it an FFA show or not? if its not i wouldnt wear my FFA jacket i dont think. whats everybody else wearing??? i only send a thank you card to the buyer. no one even keeps track of who all bids. im sure you can send a pic if you like. and to be honest, the person who bought the buyer dinner sounds like an a$$ kisser. i could be wrong though.

our fair actually has a buyer's dinner after the sale, for the buyers to come and eat, and settle up. I wear my normal show clothes. Right after the sale, as soon as I put the calf (or w/e animal) up, I grap, a gift basket, that we have made up at the flower shop, and go and give it to them, and tell them thank you and everything. And then before we can even leave to unload, we have to hav eour stalls checked, and write thank you cards, to the buyers, and sponsers, of any awards we won.

As far as inviting buyers, we go around to the people we do bussiness with, and invite them to the livestock auction, and almost all of them will come, and bid on your aniaml, since you invited them,

if you have any other questions just ask

Most of the buyers just show up. We like to invite a few anyway. Last year...I was bid on by our bank, our feed 'guys', and the place that I bought my car.
I wear normal show clothes.
I say thanks in person as soon as possible after the purchase.
Our county takes pictures (horrible, horrible pictures, but they are pictures) and send them with the thank you cards that you hand in to the office. I usually include my own, better photo.
I can see a gift basket as being apropriate. But its usually pretty informal/low dollar amounts around here, so we don't do that.

We have always invited the folks we do business with to the sale, not only the feed stores (we use more than one), banks, car dealership, trailer dealer, local meat processor, politicians in an election year (they like to spend money to get their name out there) but also even the folks we got the calf from if we didn't raise it.

What you wear in the sale depends on where you are at. I know that you all in Oklahoma show in your 4-h and/or FFA Jackets so I would wear whatever I showed in.

After the sale we always send a thank you for awards/or buyers. We include a good picture. This is seperate for the ones that are sometimes sent by the show. If it was a particularly good premium we send a dinner gift certificate.

We also send thank yous to the folks we knew showed up to bid (folks we do regular businees) for their support in the year. Sometimes that helps get them to bid harder the next year. This is more of a form note and we have it set up where we can print a pciture onto the note (we sent quite a few of these).

Hope this helps.

My kids send invitations to all previous buyers and then they send them to different bussines in the community. When sending the invitations always include a letter telling them about your self, your project and why they should come buy your animal. Include pictures! Always send a thank you right away to the person who bought your animal. I know that when we buy an animal if we don't get a thank you we don't buy that kids animal next year. Also thank them in person at the sale and if you know of any the people who bid on your animal thank them when you see them. Some kids do gift baskets but the basket don't make the sale. Plus make sure your thank you is hand written. Remember the buyers are there for you and they are spending alot of money to help you. Their not just there for some beef they can go to the store cheaper then what they spend at the sale. Good Luck at your sale!!

Is inviting the buyer to be included in the picture a nice gesture. A banker or bussinesman so that they hang it in their office?

Ag teacher was telling me today that the top 20% make the sale and the other 80% is on a piece of paper near the entry. Top 20% go through the ring and make anywhere form $400-$1,000 and the other 80% on the paper get anywhere from $200-$800.

My kids include pictures with the invitations also the fair provides a thank you plaque with a picture of the ehibitor their animal and the buyer so they can hang it up in their office or where ever.

We are going to our first sale this evening as well.The boys showed their heifers at the county 4H/FFA livestock show yesterday, and one of them made the sale outright, the other is first alternate. This is interesting info to me as well.

The "buyer" in our case does not actually take ownership of the cattle; it is just to help the kids. I was surprised at how many animals actually made the sale here. I think they took the top half of the breed champions, and three or four of the reserve breed champions. We were happy to make sale order with our bred and owned home raised heifers, as there were calves there that had been purchased for as much a $7,500 if I heard correctly.

How do your sales work? What do you have to do to make the sale. At our fairs all the animals who make it into the fair sell. The buyers don't take the steers home the steers go straight to the slaughter house and the buyer then picks up their meat from the slaughter house. What kind of prices do your sales bring?

Snider_Angus":ef8uue5q said:
Ag teacher was telling me today that the top 20% make the sale and the other 80% is on a piece of paper near the entry. Top 20% go through the ring and make anywhere form $400-$1,000 and the other 80% on the paper get anywhere from $200-$800.

Our sale is strictly to help out us kids. Bankers, Insurance Agents, Old Wealthy men, people with oil wells, other business' from around here, come and help out there customers.

Snider_Angus":34gyoxhy said:
Snider_Angus":34gyoxhy said:

Our sale is strictly to help out us kids. Bankers, Insurance Agents, Old Wealthy men, people with oil wells, other business' from around here, come and help out there customers.

That's pretty well the story of it. We just got back a little while ago. Our breed champion brought $300 from Tulsa Stockyards, and our reserve breed champion brought $250 from the booster club. But there were "add ons" that had the totals at $380 and $330. The Grand Champion heifer brought $500, GC steer brought $600. There was somebody's grandpa that bid one animal to a thousand.

We did buy a gift basket for each buyer as everyone else was. We did not dress our heifers up with bows etc as some did.

greenwillowhereford II":34bjb2jx said:
Snider_Angus":34bjb2jx said:
Snider_Angus":34bjb2jx said:

That's pretty well the story of it. We just got back a little while ago. Our breed champion brought $300 from Tulsa Stockyards, and our reserve breed champion brought $250 from the booster club. But there were "add ons" that had the totals at $380 and $330. The Grand Champion heifer brought $500, GC steer brought $600. There was somebody's grandpa that bid one animal to a thousand.

We did buy a gift basket for each buyer as everyone else was. We did not dress our heifers up with bows etc as some did.

Are those prices for steers? Is this a terminal show? We sell our by the pound and the average is $2.00 and up. Grand is usually $5.00 up to $10.00.

As for the thanking part, I have seen some ads in the paper that were thankings a certain business for buying their calf. I always thought that was neat.

SKF Show Cattle":qjg8a7y8 said:
greenwillowhereford II":qjg8a7y8 said:
Snider_Angus":qjg8a7y8 said:

Are those prices for steers? Is this a terminal show? We sell our by the pound and the average is $2.00 and up. Grand is usually $5.00 up to $10.00.

The Grand Champion steer brought $600. Sounds like there's more affluence and money where you are. Again, this is just to help the 4H and FFA kids, and the animal is not really "sold." Believe me, I certainly don't intend to turn loose of a 1240# coming 2 year old bred heifer (due to calve in March) for $300. But as it is, it is a nice gesture of support from the area business people, and it helps the kids purchase the equipment they need, or in some cases their next show animal. You have to sign a form stating that the money will be put back into the cattle/equipment.

All i can really say is %*^%(4 letter word). I placed first in a class of 1 and last in the final drive of 3. Went back for bred and owned and places last in a class of 3. THEN! went back for Sale order and made the sale but am in very last position. its alright though i still have my head up. I am gonna make a little money tonight at the sale and then we are Ai'ing some heifers this week and then she is going to the pasture with her sisters. I am still looking for a calf so if anyone around oklahoma knows people with some maine x angus heifers give me some names. i would also show as a partnership thing.

Latest posts