advice

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
guys, I have a 2 yr old reg herf bull , been handling him since about 6 months of age. His sire and dam both nice quiet cattle. I have been in the pasture with him and hes always been sane. Last week he developed a hoof abscess and needed to go to the clinic for treatment. Once we had him to the loading dock he became aggresive and came after me. i was too close to him to hit him on the nose with my stick so he knocked me down. Hubby got his attention and bull chased him over the gate. finally got the SOB loaded. :oops: At the clinic same thing, ramming his head against the trailer ect. Well we got him home and he still was charging the gate ect upon release. The neighbor guy says he is reacting from pain and wil get over it. Im thinking take him to the sale barn. He is top notch bloodline and a good looking bull BUT :::: Ive had bulls for 30 yrs and never had that type of behavior thoughts? :wave: thank you

You're thinking correct. He couldn't sire enough calves in a lifetime to be worth one hospital bill. I have zero tolerance for that.

Agree with all the above. After the bull's foot heals and you observe the appropriate antibitiotic withdrawl period, send him down the road. Likely if his foot is bad enough it needs treatment it will never fully heal properly and will cause trouble again down the road.

While I can understand a bull in pain most always has a very sour attitude, I have zero tolerance for aggressive bad disposition in a bull or any animal for that matter. All bulls naturally get worse dispositions as they age.

I have sold bulls I might have got a couple more years of service out of them, but didn't want to put up with them anymore. Although his sire and dam are mellow, you don't want this particular bull's attititude carrying through to his daughters.

thanks guys ! He is in the small pasture known as the loser lot for withdrawel from meds and to heal up Ive picked out a 6 mo old bull to eventually replace one of the older bulls. Mr nasty bull be getting wheels

msplmtneer":1ijvzh2i said:
Either sell as slaughter only or eat him yourself, don't want someone else to get hurt!

I wouldn't want to eat a 2yr old bull myself :yuck: Let him go to the bologna/hot dog factory :p

If i'm going to the trouble and expense of filling my deep freeze, it's gonna be a 2 yr old steer or an open heifer going into it :idea: ;-)

John SD":12phrxih said:
msplmtneer":12phrxih said:
Either sell as slaughter only or eat him yourself, don't want someone else to get hurt!

I wouldn't want to eat a 2yr old bull myself :yuck: Let him go to the bologna/hot dog factory :p

If i'm going to the trouble and expense of filling my deep freeze, it's gonna be a 2 yr old steer or an open heifer going into it :idea: ;-)

We eat alot of burger so I wouldn't have an issue putting him in the freezer for that. However, today's prices I couldn't bring myself to put one in the freezer like that.

skyhightree1":1ignxf3i said:
John SD":1ignxf3i said:
msplmtneer":1ignxf3i said:

We eat alot of burger so I wouldn't have an issue putting him in the freezer for that. However, today's prices I couldn't bring myself to put one in the freezer like that.

A family can go through a lot of burger :nod: I know by myself I'd get tired of eating that many burgers, meatloaf, etc. I want some steaks and roasts :D

I agree this bull will bring a lot of $$$ by the lb after he heals. Then with the proceeds, if a person doesn't already have one of their own they could always take home an off-color/rattail/other cosmetic defect but otherwise sound steer calf/yearling at a discount to raise up to butcher :idea:

Sell him! We bought a 15 month old $$$ registered Angus with amazing EPD's - except they didn't yet include his docility rating. Never trusted him & last winter he suffered an eye abrasion & went nuts when we tried to load him. Got him doctored, gave him another chance & a few months later he charged my husband. We were going to take him to the Sale Barn the next week but another rancher that does all his work on horseback wanted him. Heard from the rancher a couple weeks ago & the bull tried to take out his horse. Take him to the Sale Barn & observe a moment of silence the next time you eat at McDonald's!

Sell him as soon as you can. I would not take another chance on him hurting you or someone else. I would not want to eat him, either.

I know this is not the case here, but thought that I would throw it out there since we are talking about aggression.
Did you all know that Anaplasmosis can cause an otherwise docile animal to be aggressive with bouts of rage?
I was surprised to learn this......

branguscowgirl":2vee808j said:
I know this is not the case here, but thought that I would throw it out there since we are talking about aggression.
Did you all know that Anaplasmosis can cause an otherwise docile animal to be aggressive with bouts of rage?
I was surprised to learn this......

Absolutely! Last summer my best friend was at the vet when another couple brought in one of their favorite cows, couldn't figure out what was wrong with her and she had become extremely aggressive. As they were trying to unload her she charged her owners in the trailer, essentially went nuts, fell down & died on the spot. Vet simply said "Anaplasmosis".

Latest posts