Advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

WolfLady

Reaction score
Now it looks like the lil fellow might actully live :D So For those That have rasied lil bull calves (and bottle babys) What are the no nos for dealing with him (example - He headbutted me this morn ) How do i prevent problems later on behavior wise? I dont want a 250 - 400 or more calf knockin me for a loop.

WolfLady":2ekiuwv9 said:
Now it looks like the lil fellow might actully live :D So For those That have rasied lil bull calves (and bottle babys) What are the no nos for dealing with him (example - He headbutted me this morn ) How do i prevent problems later on behavior wise? I dont want a 250 - 400 or more calf knockin me for a loop.

How did he head butt you? Like, was your back turned and he butted you...or was he maybe butting you looking for the bottle? Do you feed him thru a fence? Feeding thru a fence keeps that head butting down. And, if you are the one he associates with his bottle, he's gonna do what calves do and butt trying to get to his milk.

Alice

WolfLady":2vuuqch0 said:

Get a bottle rack and hang it on the fence. I'd tie it down with wire if it were me but make sure the wire ends are pointed away from the calf and his eyes. You could use some nylon cord if you have it. Mix his bottle and give it to him from the other side of the fence, just dropping it into the bottle rack.

Watch him for scours. They usually get them. You can get the scour tablets from the feed stores. Put a tablet in a thin folded cloth like a handkerchief and bust it up with a hammer on a board. Then mix the powder you make out of the tablet in with his bottle. If it were me, I'd give him a few doses anyway, just because thats what I do. I have never lost a bottle calf and I hope I never have to feed another one.

Make sure he has plenty of clean water and keep his pen clean. Make sure he has shade in the heat of the day. You might want to get him some straw and make bedding in the shade. Start giving him a little feed when he's a few weeks old. There are several brands of calf starter out there. Read the labels.

You may have put a lot of nickels in that calf before you get him weaned. It is always best if you can graft him onto a nurse cow if possible.

I just now read your other thread. Sorry.

I would get a bottle rack if I were you. Don't go the bucket route if possible, stick with the bottles.

Here are pics of the lil fellow - His name is Lunch :lol: Anyone have a better name? Let me know what ya think of him He was 20 at auction but others that day went for 9 - 25 dollars for bulls and 75 - 125 for heifers (his age of course)
SUNP0001.jpg

SUNP0002.jpg

That lead rope around his neck scares me. I'd think he might choke himself. Do you have any cow panels? You could put three or so in a circle and contain him if you don't have a pen. Maybe drive a couple of T posts to hold the panels in place.

The cow panels are about 16 dollars each. You can always use those for things around the farm if you don't have any.

He looks fine. Congratulations. You now own cattle. He's going to act like a little pup before long.

Lunch is kind of cute but you ought to be thinking "supper". I always name one of mine T-Bone or Rib-Eye. Everyone knows that is the next one to be fed out and sent to the processors.

calf was on rope for few mins while putting up panels near goats :) Also has clip under his neck so that you can clip rope to self I have seen too many dogs hung or tangled :) thanks though -- We are not sure what he is someone told me that the crew he came in with was Jerseys and Gernsenys(sp) If you have any ideas on what he is please share One good thing though i have learned Next time will go to brother (he owns dairy) and get a calf Not from the auction.

The head looks Jersyish not Guernsey. The splash of white here and there gives him the appearence of either Jersey or a Jersey Holstein cross.
I'm having a hard time keeping up with these calf threads, can;t remember which calves are supposed to be what anymore.
Senility I guess

dun

WolfLady":14c25jrg said:
Here are pics of the lil fellow -

Why is he tied up? If he HAS to be tied, I would advise a halter so he doesn't get hung up and choke himself. Better yet, invest in a few cattle panels, a few steel posts and build him a pen.

msscamp":2rwoyf1e said:
WolfLady":2rwoyf1e said:
Here are pics of the lil fellow -

Why is he tied up? If he HAS to be tied, I would advise a halter so he doesn't get hung up and choke himself. Better yet, invest in a few cattle panels, a few steel posts and build him a pen.

He was on rope for few mins until panels were up over by the goats :D .
Btw

WolfLady":2wxxh6ye said:
I wouldnt worry to much about the headbutting right now, probably hungry, later though if he still does it smack him on the end of the nose, we had this problem with head butting and when a #1425 steer does it, its not cute anymore and very hard to break when they get that big

The bottle calf that I have at the moment started butting - she'd come up from behind and do it. It took a few solid swats at her nose and she stopped.

I have learned the hard way (real hard) not to let them get that close -- I have taken to tapping them on the nose with a riding crop - or a short stick will do in a pinch. Not a slap, but a sharp tap like you are swatting a fly. It only takes once or twice and they figure out where "personal space" is.

Several dairy guys in this area put a collar on the calf and then tie them to individual huts. They also have a fence surrounding the large pen to keep dogs out and calves in, just in case they get loose.
When I was a kid we broke our calves to be tied using a collar. We led them out to various places during the day and let them graze the grass.
The main thing to remember is get a collar that won't slip over their heads, and don't use a choker type collar which will tighten on their necks. To tie them, use a chain, flat dog lead, or a rope which will not tighten even when wet.

mystery74":xbi4tcil said:
WolfLady":xbi4tcil said:
I wouldnt worry to much about the headbutting right now, probably hungry, later though if he still does it smack him on the end of the nose, we had this problem with head butting and when a #1425 steer does it, its not cute anymore and very hard to break when they get that big

Having raised quite a few bottle calves, I disagree with this advice. The sooner this issue is addressed the better. Mine butt, they get smacked - hard! They butt the bottle, the bottle gets removed and they get smacked - hard, they are given a minute or two to think about it, the bottle is then re-introduced. They butt again, the same thing happens. It doesn't take long for them to figure it out.