ADVICE!!! QUICK

Help Support CattleToday:

notimeforfear

Reaction score
so my horse is being kept at a friends house and the original arrangment was for me to work there to pay for the feed and board. well ive been caught up in work and the heat doesnt allow me to work as much because i pass out in heat. now she is trying to charge me 275 a month for feed and board. i was wondering anyone liveing in the central california area believe that is reasonable or not. also she is throwing the farrier charges at me when she for one has not once told me when the farrier is going to be there and two cant produce a reciept. now is it right for a horse to be trimmed 4 times in 3.5 months. i think not. but i could be wrong. i think she is scamming me. so i need advice on what to do

Sounds like you haven't held up your end of the deal. $275 per month is very reasonable for feed & board. Around here the rates run from $350 to $450 per month.

If you are concerned about the farrier, get his phone number and ask him how many times he trimmed your horse.

Don't you go out to see your horse enough to tell if it's feet have been done?

We trim about every 6 weeks, but I'm not surprised that others would do it more often than that. The boarding rate is a good deal. You could not board a horse for that amount in East Texas. Surprised you can in California.

If you made a deal to work over there then regardless of how hot it gets and regardless of if you pass out you need to be over there keeping your end of the deal.

When I worked down in Bakersfield area last summer, hay was around $230-265 per ton... horse eats close to a ton a month usually... you've got a ridiculously good deal there. Pay up.

Sounds simple, take your horse home..... hope someone does not turn you in... you need to get better educated on taking care of horses and the expense of.

JMO,
Alan

Sounds like a typical horse owner around here. I can't afford to take care of my horse and don't have time to work with my horse so I'll dump it on someone else and expect them to do it for me. One of my neighbors just sold a couple of horses that she was boarding recently. She was paid for the first month and not a dime more.

If your horses' feet had been neglected, it would be very reasonable to have it trimmed 4 times in 3.5 months. My advice is to give your horse to your friend that is looking after it, then you won't have to pay.

I suspect we won't be hearing from this person again. Don't you love when folks make deals and then reneges? Sounds like someone was looking for free board.

alright no. you guys must have misunderstood me. she is un rightfully charging me for things that havent happened. it ended up that the farrier has only come out there twice. i spoke with him. and they are over charging me more then the hay they have is worth. but that is besides the point now. things have started up much worse. i went out and tried to pay for what i owe her. she didnt except my money instead tried to pay me off 500 for my horse. i told her the horse isnt for sale and that i will be picking up my horse later. it turns out she never turned in my registration papers like she said and the horse is still in her name. she has had this planned from the very beginning. that horse is worth 5000 and she is trying to pay me off 500 for it. we are in the middle of filing court papers and other stuff so i can get my horse back

notimeforfear":3vcqivm7 said:
alright no. you guys must have misunderstood me. she is un rightfully charging me for things that havent happened. it ended up that the farrier has only come out there twice. i spoke with him. and they are over charging me more then the hay they have is worth. but that is besides the point now. things have started up much worse. i went out and tried to pay for what i owe her. she didnt except my money instead tried to pay me off 500 for my horse. i told her the horse isnt for sale and that i will be picking up my horse later. it turns out she never turned in my registration papers like she said and the horse is still in her name. she has had this planned from the very beginning. that horse is worth 5000 and she is trying to pay me off 500 for it. we are in the middle of filing court papers and other stuff so i can get my horse back

First, I am glad you responded. Second, if you can't work you should pay board which sounds like you were willing. Third, this is an entirely different story.

I have seen stables try to pull this crap. They sell a horse and then make it so expensive to keep they either end up getting it back for free or really cheap and then sell it again. I hope this all works out for you and you get your horse back. This "friend" I assume is no longer a friend?

The horse market is in the toilet. A friend of mine was just given a real nice 8 YO Palomino gelding because the girl was into other things and didn't want to have spend the money to keep it. I was offered a real nice 6 YO mare for free. I don't need another one so I passed. Had this mare been being abused or mistreated I would have taken it though.

yeah they are trying to pull a bunch of stuff that just isnt going to fly. no matter what the surcumstances they cant "reposess" my horse for any reason. i payed for the horse and ive tried paying to cover the costs of the lasts months board. but i dont know. the judge will decide

notimeforfear":40yyivc6 said:
yeah they are trying to pull a bunch of stuff that just isnt going to fly. no matter what the surcumstances they cant "reposess" my horse for any reason. i payed for the horse and ive tried paying to cover the costs of the lasts months board. but i dont know. the judge will decide

Make her/him pay for court costs also.

im goin to haha. but say the judge rules in her favor and we dont end up gaining possession of the horse i will be getting back all the moeny i put into that horse. meaning my moneys worth of work i did there for three months the training of the horse for three months and the new cost of what i feel the horse is worth. bc if i failed to mention she wont give me the registration papers now saying the horse is still hers. we have talked to attorneys and they have told us that she is commiting fraud if i claim that she has planned this from the very beginning

Well, it seems that things started off on the wrong foot to begin with.

Number 1 when you bought the horse you should have requested a copy of the papers and signed transfer and a written bill of sale. Or you get the papers and signed transfer and you transfer them yourself.

Number 2 - you should have never reneged on your agreement. By doing so, you put yourself in a bad position.

Number 3 - unless you have receipts, canceled checks, and tangible proof of the monies you have invested in this horse, the judge will not grant your requests. You will have to prove the value of the horse.

What breed is the horse? How much did you paid for the horse? Is the horse paid in full? If you have owned it for 3 months, you should have been asking about the registration papers a long time ago.

Good luck.

PS. Another thought is maybe the person is sorry that she sold you the horse because you aren't doing your part in taking care of it. It's the pits to sell a horse and realize that the buyer isn't the right person for the horse.

Latest posts