Advice on this Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

If you want a black bull go with an angus. Sale all your calves and buy the best heifers you can afford for replacements as you grow.

My problem with Angus is that I have a very small herd so I dont think I can keep one. I dont WANT a black bull this one just happens to be black. My interest in this bull lies in the breed not the color. His temperment and handling makes him suitable to my specific situation....I am just wondering how he'd cross on my cows and if he is worth 3K

A-RRanch":cu72mvkx said:
My problem with Angus is that I have a very small herd so I dont think I can keep one. I dont WANT a black bull this one just happens to be black. My interest in this bull lies in the breed not the color. His temperment and handling makes him suitable to my specific situation....I am just wondering how he'd cross on my cows and if he is worth 3K
no redeeming qualities,, they got him black though, and looks like it musta satisfied em...

Can I ask why this bull is a pass so I know better what to look for in my shopping? Can someone give me a few tips on what things are most important while looking? Thanks!

A-RRanch":2250fo4z said:
Can I ask why this bull is a pass so I know better what to look for in my shopping? Can someone give me a few tips on what things are most important while looking? Thanks!

Topline.....looks like a mountain range

Sheath..........just not good

hocks........looks like he is cow hocked to some extent but can't tell from the picture

frankly 100lbs of fat would make him look better but that doesn't mean he would BE better. If he was shown he wasn't brought down easy from the show ration!

A-RRanch":1ifgrwqh said:
i figure him being a maternal breed your gonna retain heifers from him.. and he's in the shape to make a decent judgment ... he's fairly light boned ""probably from the quest to turn em black"" and showing no muscle expression.. no "gutts'' capcity ..narrow based .. sheath needs to be tighter ..

A-RRanch":2v3whdgz said:
I am looking at some bulls from here-
http://www.cattlerange.com/304C970-201/304C970-201.html

They have a bunch to choose from obviously so I am trying to figure out what I want to look for. Does anyone have any experience with these folks?
theres was a poster on here that does,, i dont know them... but your on target.. i think they were part of the development of foundation beefmasters

The bull you were looking at originally has the type of shoulders I like. That's it. Nothing else good to say. I would not use him for any price. Certainly not worth $3K. That is what black has done to the industry. Someone will probably pay that. Somebody else is trying to convince you to go with a breed that is acclimated to climates whose high temps in the summer is 70 degrees. You are in Texas. Go brangus or else get away from black. My opinion.

backhoeboogie":2spfqwo5 said:
The bull you were looking at originally has the type of shoulders I like. That's it. Nothing else good to say. I would not use him for any price. Certainly not worth $3K. That is what black has done to the industry. Someone will probably pay that. Somebody else is trying to convince you to go with a breed that is acclimated to climates whose high temps in the summer is 70 degrees. You are in Texas. Go brangus or else get away from black. My opinion.

Not trying to convince him to go with Angus. I just said if he wanted a black bull to go with Angus. He already has Brahman cross cows and doesn't need a bull with Brahman bloodlines. He will get killed at the salebarn on steers. If he is keeping heifers, it's cheaper to buy them already bred.

Latest posts