advice!! I am new to the showing world!!

Help Support CattleToday:

williams_simmental

Reaction score
We have raised reg simmentals for many many years, but I have just started taking some calfs to local county fairs. I am really enjoying it, and am trying to get more involved with the "showing" aspect of things.
I have been reading and reading about diet, grooming, handling ect.
The county fairs seem very laid back, what is to be expected with other shows??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Just be good at showing your animals the best they can for that show. Might mean just having them clipped, washed, and blowed out for one show, and clipped, washed, blowed, hair set and ect. for the next show. Every show is different, and depends on how many there are, and how good the other cattle look. But there should still be a base line on what your going to do for every show, and then add more to it for shows with more competition.

What area are you in?
If you don't mind me asking.

williams_simmental":1yyu3pgn said:
We have raised reg simmentals for many many years, but I have just started taking some calfs to local county fairs. I am really enjoying it, and am trying to get more involved with the "showing" aspect of things.
I have been reading and reading about diet, grooming, handling ect.
The county fairs seem very laid back, what is to be expected with other shows??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D
Are you an adult? Are you showing to help promote your breeding stock?

County fairs are very laid back. Sometimes you'll get a few competitors go all out fitting the animal for show, but mostly we've see an agreement to 'blow & go'. State fair open class shows are on par with the breed National Shows. Judges at the county fair will tolerate an animal that won't set up quickly. At the bigger shows you better have that animal trained, because the judge won't spend an extra 10 seconds to wait on you to set her up; that can cost you a place or two.

Latest posts