ADG

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

If I take a 500# steer and feed nothing but forage/hay what could I expect his ADG to be up to 850#? Put another way, How many days b/4 he's ready for the feedlot?

[email protected]

> If I take a 500# steer and feed
> nothing but forage/hay what could
> I expect his ADG to be up to 850#?
> Put another way, How many days b/4
> he's ready for the feedlot? Your question asks for a lot of assumptions that are hard to guess. Is the feed of top quality or poorer. Is the animal a steer or heifer. Is it implanted or not. Is it in good health or not. Is it a large framed animal or a smaller one. What is the weather like.- You see, all these variable have to be known before we can estimate gain. Just not knowing one variable can blow your ADG out of the water.- With top feed, large framed, steers that have been implanted, in 60degree weather with a slight breeze- these animals could expect to gain 1.5 to 2 pounds per day. Look up NRC ration calculations on the web. Monty

> If I take a 500# steer and feed
> nothing but forage/hay what could
> I expect his ADG to be up to 850#?
> Put another way, How many days b/4
> he's ready for the feedlot?

I had a young Bull (Murray Grey)born on April 21, birth weight was 70 lbs.We have had drought conditions (little rain, short grass) for the past two months.I have had to feed hay.The only supplement was minerals and a protein tub.I weighed him Sunday and he weighed 594.His ADWG has been about 2.8 lbs a day on mama's milk, little grass,and hay.No creep feeding.

Latest posts