Feeder cattle adg

Help Support CattleToday:

canadianfarmboy

Reaction score
Just sold my feeder cattle ( bought at 500 and sold at 750 lbs ) , they gained 1.7 lbs on 4lbs ground corn , 4 lbs rolled barley and 1 lbs of 36% beef supplement along with free choice hay per day . Anyone think I could have done better ? Cheaper ration ? Better quality that would allow a higher gain ? The gain seems low to myself . Would like to get over that 2 lbs plus a day . Any help would be great . Thanks

Your measurements are about right in line with the computers guesstimate.
daily%2Bgain.png

Increased the 36% supplement by 2 pound and got about 1 ADG boost. (this was with 5 pounds of 10% hay)
better%2Bdailky%2Bgain.png

http://beefbasics.com/Ration.aspx

Thanks for the reply , Ive been playing with the ration calculator . I got some prices from feed store today . Soyhulls at $401/tonne , corn gluten feed at $291 , soybean meal at $646 , cracked ground at $290 , dried distrillers at $401 and 32% beef supplement at $671 . All seem high from what I've seen online but not near any other feed places . What do you think is best option for putting on a 2 lbs plus a day gain on cattle . Regardless of feed I'll always feed free choice hay . Thanks

Ground corn and it's priced at over $8 a bushel? That's insane, I think you need to find a new feed store even if you have to pay more for trucking.

canadianfarmboy":2mh3wla5 said:
Just sold my feeder cattle ( bought at 500 and sold at 750 lbs ) , they gained 1.7 lbs on 4lbs ground corn , 4 lbs rolled barley and 1 lbs of 36% beef supplement along with free choice hay per day . Anyone think I could have done better ? Cheaper ration ? Better quality that would allow a higher gain ? The gain seems low to myself . Would like to get over that 2 lbs plus a day . Any help would be great . Thanks
Find your point of diminishing return and stay right there !!

Corn gluten feed appears to be a better feed than straight corn . Was playing with balancing calculator , is there a problem with feeding just corn gluten feed as long as free choice hay is provided ? Or should something else be mixed to ration as well ?

canadianfarmboy":2wew0mxf said:
Corn gluten feed appears to be a better feed than straight corn . Was playing with balancing calculator , is there a problem with feeding just corn gluten feed as long as free choice hay is provided ? Or should something else be mixed to ration as well ?
CGF has more protein but not nearly as digestible nor does it contain the energy of corn. But it's cheap so I'm told.