adding cane syrup to hay or grain

Help Support CattleToday:

little creek

Reaction score
We make our own cane syrup the old fashion way. We had a batch look trashy not uncommon but we sell only the best pure cane syrup. We now have replacement heifers, 9 months old,700 lbs. If we add the cane syrup to their hay or grain instead of throwing it away will this be ok for them. thanks little creek.

little creek

Feeding cane syrup should be no problem. Would suggest feeding no more than 5-10% of their daily feed. It will add energy to the feed.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

I have fed some really bad hay as a filler only. I rolled it out and poured some molasses on it. Cows cleaned it up. I suppose cane syrup would work as well.

little creek,

Have fed over cooked sorghum molasses many times. They will love it. 2% of total dry feed...max....or don't plan to be behind 'em....high exit volitality can be expected. If you over fed it you loose all the benefit, there is little time for absorbion.
Laceing on top of the dry food is reccommended. We put it in the Gehl grinder as an additive with the dry matter which puts it directly into the tank and doesn't build up in the machine as much. Your sugar cane syrup should be no different. If you decide to pour it over hay...expect all to be eaten.

We have fed the processed cane stalks themselves. Once they are squeezed and shredded they make good feed. I just trucked them out into the pasture and dumped 'em.

Latest posts