Active shooter training

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
Just wanted to add to the other thread before it was locked. Been through several of these training courses through work. Bottom line recommendation, in a nutshell, is for everyone to run and hide behind solid structure. Try to have an escape route. If trapped in a room, everyone should start throwing any and all objects at shooter possible. Difficult to aim/ shoot people while dodging things. These are the consistent recommendations, after attending multiple classes on this subject.

Of course, the class promoted by law enforcement was very pro gun carry. So many times it only takes one person with a gun to fight back. If the professional recommendation is to throw staplers, garbage cans, tape dispensers, pens, notebooks, cups, silverware,...then how much more sense does it make to "throw some high speed lead". The point is to distract to get away if escape available, or distract to subdue if no escape route. Someone has to 'nut up'...just like the brave souls on the hijacked plane that crasheday 9-11. Fight or flight is instilled in every single human beings core.

Also would like to speak(call BS) to a post on that thread that said something about soldiers and law enforcement being trained to engage enemy, while average Joe is not. I served in military and had the good fortune to attend federal law enforcement academy, USBP, in the early 90s. We were trained to shoot paper targets in both environments, (just like competent CC gunowners). USBP also provided us w/ a 20 minute session on a video simulator. At the the end of the day, everyone is human. There are a multitude of civilian CC citizens that are every bit as competent as military/ LE personnel. .and some more competent than them. Most CC gun owners take this responsibilty very seriously. One thing I know for certain, the more rounds you fire through your weapon, the more comfortable you feel doing so. PERIOD. Point is, LE/military don't have any more training shooting a living person than a civilian...until they actually do so real world.

Gotta add that if you get caught in one of our schools or colleges with a CC weapon, you are asked to leave for the day. That is it. So what do we have to fear if we carry? I'm just not the guy that would running for my life in a situation like that.

When I "qualified" for my CC permit in CA back in the 80's, we had to shoot 60 rounds and had to have 43 of 60 in the kill zone. One of the LE at the range that day was also re-qualifying. He only got 43 out of 60. I finished my day with 60 out of 60. I hope I never have to engage.

Point is, LE/military don't have any more training shooting a living person than a civilian...until they actually do so real world.
For that matter, no one on the planet has any "training shooting a living person". Once ya start shooting living people, it changes from training to experience.

I can think of a few morons that probably should be used for range training targets tho--the ones that did this:
reuter.jpg

Latest posts