Acres ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkansas

Reaction score
How would you divide up 18 acres ? I mean would you keep some acres for cutting hay only ? Or would you divide it all into maybe 4 Acres Paddocks or what ? And How often would you have to move the cattle to the next one. before the one prior to feeding on that it would be grown back up again ?

1st off i would have the 18acs all pasture.an use a breakwire to control graze it.by that i mean move 40ft from the gate an run the wire accross the pasture.an graze that stripp till its down to 2 or 3 inches.then move ahead another 40ft.

bigbull338":ufm86bat said:
1st off i would have the 18acs all pasture.an use a breakwire to control graze it.by that i mean move 40ft from the gate an run the wire accross the pasture.an graze that stripp till its down to 2 or 3 inches.then move ahead another 40ft.

Do I keep the old strip they chewed down to 2-3" seperated from them as I move them forward also ?

Arkansas":1zkss48w said:
bigbull338":1zkss48w said:

Do I keep the old strip they chewed down to 2-3" seperated from them as I move them forward also ?

Yes. It needs time to grow back. You can keep more head on the 18 acrea by rotating the grazing. I would buy hay with 18 acres and use all of it as pasture. If you figured your fertilizer cost and expense of getting it cut, you wouldn't save much if any versus buying hay most years.

Latest posts