Ace a few years later

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
image64.jpg

I don't know what the heck you are talking about, but I do know that that is a beautiful picture. I don't like horses, but that looks like a horse I could get along with. Looks very calm.

Bigfoot":3nkefa6u said:
He's got the head and neck of a poco bred horse.
You know your horses,he's poco on the bottom..he was stunted and starved when I got him,posted his pic on here when was making a turn around, And was told what a piece of crap he was...thanks

ohiosteve":3397878i said:
I don't know what the heck you are talking about, but I do know that that is a beautiful picture. I don't like horses, but that looks like a horse I could get along with. Looks very calm.
He's a kid at heart,and a little accident prone..thanks for the comment

Good looking horse !! Doesnt seem to be stunted or starved now . Lets here the story how he came to be . thx

He was a back yard horse,no grass to eat..the same type folks who think they want a horse. but don't know anything about one and ride a few times and lose inerest later and neglect them.so i
Made them an offer and bought him..

Alacowman I have gotten some of my very best horses that way. He is lucky that you came along. He is a good looking horse!

Yep One of the best horse I ever owned I bought out of the kill pen at a auction mart . The horse just needed a second chance and some TLC . The wife thought I was crazy for bringing him home . After a little TLC he ended up being her mount for about ten years . Died of natural causes and is still buried here on the ranch !!

His sire was a reg.paint,and his dam poco king cash..he was solid so never registerd...he was so narrow when I got him ,looked like both legs came out of the same hole.he spread out and muscled up like he was suppose to look to begin with....

Funny you said that Bigfoot. First thing I thought when I saw him was he looks like the a grulla horse I bought this spring that is Poco bred. Do you have much experience with them I am hoping he will make a good all around ranch horse. Time will tell. Good looking little horse tho and glad you gave him a second chance Alacowman.

I bought a poco bueno bred filly once from a dr. when I was about sixteen. He came out of the house with an apple to catch her. She grabbed his apple, spun around and nailed him in the stomach, and took off. He told me she didn't want to be caught and if he got a halter on her he'd call me. I asked him to go get another apple and while he was gone I ran her up in a corner and smacked her a$$ and stuck that halter on her when she spun around to face me. He was asking $1,000 for her. He told me she wouldn't load in the trailer. I handed him $250 and led her right in and drove away. :lol:
She was my first poco bueno bred horse and I liked her so much I've sought them every since and even have a mare bred that way now and my go to horse has it on both sides. They're so smart that they learn everything one time and after that you don't get a chance to correct it. All of them have been level headed and SMART. They won't take an a$$hole for very long but if you can stand to let a horse think for themselves then you're pretty well mounted. They can take hard riding but they respond to kindness really well. Any time you start butting heads on training hangups just put a cow in front of them and it all goes away.

Not really pertanat to ace here, other than a story about foundation bred horses. The people posting on this thread might find it interesting to some degree:

A young girl came to our house the last two Sundays in a row, to ride in the arena a little bit. Maybe to pick up a few tips here and there. She had previously just ridden around her house, and pasture. She doesn't really have a background in horses, she just really enjoys them. Last Sunday, she showed up, with just a horse. It could hardly be ridden around the perimeter of the arena. I told her if she came back, she could ride one of ours, but she showed this Sunday with a really really nice looking buckskin gelding on her trailer. Atleast 300 pounds over weight, but you could tell what was under there, and it was foundation all the way. I asked both her, and her dad what the story on the horse was. Neither one of them knew anything about it. They had borrowed it from a family member. The thing ended up riding out real nice, had a ton of handle, and a good set of brakes. They didn't know how long it had been since it was ridden, maybe even a few years. I mouthed it to be about 12 or 13. The thing haunted me all day, so I started making some calls. Turns out its heavy heavy skipper bred. I haven't seen the papers, and doubt they still even exist. He's a finished head horse. He has sold once for $40,000, and once for $14,000. The most recent time he has changed hands was to be turned out on grass, by someone's house, because he was so pretty. The horse is sound in every way, he's just a lawn ornament now. There is no way, that anyone could ever buy him, not at any price. Subsequently he may never be ridden again.

I'd hoped to make a rope horse out of him, but you see that nasty scar above his right hoof line? Bout lost him a few years back.. So just a rider now...

Thanks CP that's helpful. He definately has a different personality so I have been taken my time to figure him out. He is smart and willing enough when you gets your hands on him but standoffish and a bit flighty. I don't think the transporters did him any favors getting here either. Glad to hear they are cowy tho. Hope he will turn out to be a good all around mount.

Bigfoot it is to bad that horse won't get used. Chances are if he was good at it he enjoyed it as much as the riders did. It always amazes me what you find where you least expect it.

Latest posts