ABS AI Course in Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Gonna be attending a 3 day AI course in Ranburne, AL on May 31st-June 2nd. I'm assuming it's sponsored by ABS. I know the instructor is an ABS rep. Anyone been to one of their courses? Good or bad input? Any CT members close by?

Who's the instructors? I know Alan Southard and James Umphey teach for ABS? Alan is a sales rep - distributor for ABS. You'll have fun and enjoy yourself while learning. Just don't stand directly behind the cow.

I attended an ABS class about 30 years ago and thought it was great. I'm sure the classes are a little different now and each instructor has his/her own style of teaching. Just make sure you ask questions about anything you are not sure about. The best teacher will be experience after you start your own breeding. they just can't cover everything in a classroom. Good luck

JMJ, I'm about 25 minutes from there. Get up with me and I'll cook you a steak one evening after your school.

jehosofat said:
JMJ, I'm about 25 minutes from there. Get up with me and I'll cook you a steak one evening after your school.

Mighty nice offer. I will send you a PM. Be mighty glad to meet you.

Day 1 is over. I understood a good deal before I got here. Learned a little more today. But the actual act of manipulating the cervix is a lot tougher than I thought it would be. Got frustrated a couple of times and hand to calm myself down. I'm not used to struggling with something when I understand what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing.

Hope you didn't get too frustrated trying to get through the cervix in class. depending on if you were working on live cows or starting on repo tracks on a table like the class did when I took the class. breeding cows when they are actually in heat is easier because the cervix is open farther and therefore easier to get through. your instructor should have covered all that early in class. breeding will get easier with experience so just keep going and good luck.

JMJ Farms said:
Day 1 is over. I understood a good deal before I got here. Learned a little more today. But the actual act of manipulating the cervix is a lot tougher than I thought it would be. Got frustrated a couple of times and hand to calm myself down. I'm not used to struggling with something when I understand what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing.

You will get there. Cows in heat are way easier.

JMJ Farms said:

Patience Young Grasshopper.

I recently took a 4 day course. I was like you, I had a pretty good understanding how things were supposed to be done. After day one I was so frustrated and thought to my self there was absolutely no way I could do this. Day 2 was a little better, but similar. Day 3 and 4 things really started to click.

Dsth said:
Hope you didn't get too frustrated trying to get through the cervix in class. depending on if you were working on live cows or starting on repo tracks on a table like the class did when I took the class. breeding cows when they are actually in heat is easier because the cervix is open farther and therefore easier to get through. your instructor should have covered all that early in class. breeding will get easier with experience so just keep going and good luck.

Yes sir. We started on reproductive tracts and then moved to cows, which were not in heat. One thing I picked up on real quick..... Early in the day I didn't have near as much trouble. After the cows had been violated repeatedly, and the rectal wall thickened, then I had more trouble. When we had our "practical exam" on Sunday morning, I was in, out, and done in a few minutes. So maybe fresh cows, a familiar atmosphere, and a lot of practice will do the trick.

Red Bull Breeder said:
JMJ Farms said:

You will get there. Cows in heat are way easier.

The guy who owned the farm and hosted the course said the same thing.

Latest posts