About to start feeding hay

Help Support CattleToday:

redlevel

Reaction score
Have had 1.5 inches of rain in seven weeks, that in three or four light showers. As I type this, the thermometer reads 100.5. It is amazing that my grass has held up as well as it has. My common Bermuda has fared much better than the little bit of Coastal I have. Had about six acres of Browntop Millet that helped some. Two inches of rain in a week would put me back in good shape, but it just ain't in the forecast.

I will have to start feeding hay Monday.

I'm about 90 miles South of ATL.

redlevel said:
Have had 1.5 inches of rain in seven weeks, that in three or four light showers. As I type this, the thermometer reads 100.5. It is amazing that my grass has held up as well as it has. My common Bermuda has fared much better than the little bit of Coastal I have. Had about six acres of Browntop Millet that helped some. Two inches of rain in a week would put me back in good shape, but it just ain't in the forecast.

I hope you get some rain ASAP.

Sell the cows down trying to feed through a drought is a loser all the way around. You push the pastures too far your looking at years of recovery.
Saw it in 2011 here. You can buy more cows tomorrow, improved pastures take years to build days to destroy.

redlevel said:

How many cows are we talking? If it is a small herd can you keep them in a paddock or small lot and feed until rain comes? And, how much hay do you have on hand?

Small herd, 15 cows one bull. Have about 15 500-800 pound calves I need to sell, and 8-10 smaller calves. I didn't sell anything last year, so I have some older ones that need to go.

I found a deal on some good 2018 hay. Good net wrapped coastal, 900 pound rolls at $15 per roll. I have 60 rolls, and can get more. I have plenty of cross-fencing, so I don't have to leave them in one place too long.

Things are dry now, but manageable with the cheap hay. If it continues another 45-60 days, it will be getting critical.

We are in the same boat. We have plenty of grass stock piled for a couple months but it is burned up. When I get home I am going to clean house on calves and older cows. IMO, its all about being pro-active and living to fight another day.

Good luck :tiphat:

Haven't had any more rain than that. Just finished putting 50 acres of hay in the barns. While grass is showing it is mid August and hasn't seen rain in a month and a half, I still have a lot of grass. Good tops grow good roots which grow good tops.... graze grass to the dirt and that's what you have two weeks after it stops raining. :2cents:

Latest posts