about to birth

Help Support CattleToday:

mrriley

Reaction score
A cow is near time to birth and she is holding her tail out sometimes and her vaginal area is reddish looking and inflamed. Other than this she seems fine.

How is she acting? Is there any odd behavior, like laying down getting up, looking at the ground in circles? etc.

LOL Son cows can have a discahrge on there tail 365 days out of the year

Son all Im trying to say is taht it depends a lot on whether its thick or thin..thick is usually nothing to worry about anytime soon

tapeworm":1mmdpoav said:
Son all Im trying to say is taht it depends a lot on whether its thick or thin..thick is usually nothing to worry about anytime soon

I agree with thin and thick concept, my 8yr old daughter does checks and defines the difference as goobers or she's slimeing. :eek:

tapeworm":1txemlmm said:
:lol: Tape, you sure not particular about claiming your kids in public. :lol: :lol:

This cow seems to be extreemly inflamed in the vulva area,almost as if she has been stung. She has been showing mucus for eight or more weeks,seems uncomfortable, holding
tail out. for several weeks on and off. She is over 10 years old. We bought her at auction so do not know her birthing history. I have not seen this prolonged situation before. Is it time to ask the vet?

mrriley":4o4nelxz said:
This cow seems to be extreemly inflamed in the vulva area,almost as if she has been stung. She has been showing mucus for eight or more weeks,seems uncomfortable, holding
tail out. for several weeks on and off. She is over 10 years old. We bought her at auction so do not know her birthing history. I have not seen this prolonged situation before. Is it time to ask the vet?

You might get her in the chute and glove her just to make sure the calf is in the correct position.

MikeC":2ltrhi9k said:
mrriley":2ltrhi9k said:

You might get her in the chute and glove her just to make sure the calf is in the correct position.

That's a good idea. What's her bag look like? Full? strutting teats and everthang? If so I would check her asap.

I have seen some Holsteins that had their vulva abnormally swollen & red. Vet said it was like an allergy reaction to the hormones :shock:
Anyway, is she holding her tail out like she is straining, or like she's trying to keep from touching the vulva area? If she's straining, best call a vet - unless you are able to palpate her yourself & take care of a problem. And, it would be a problem if she has been doing this for a few days & she's been trying to calve.
Does "the rest" of her look ready? Bag swollen tight? Although at 10, she may not get a real full bag. Is she thin or in good BCS? If thin, again, she may not have a very tight bag.

ranchmgr":1yave4ww said:
tapeworm":1yave4ww said:
LOL Son cows can have a discahrge on there tail 365 days out of the year

Better call a vet- that is not normal!!!!
Lol ranch manger..not the 1st time Ive said something that didnt come out right. LOL I meant taht you can go to the pasture 365 day a year and find a cow with a discharge...if youve got enough of em..and it dont mean that shes fixing to calve. Thank you for correcting me. :D

la4angus":2glawvpe said:
tapeworm":2glawvpe said:
:lol: Tape, you sure not particular about claiming your kids in public. :lol: :lol:
LOL I woudnt be particular about taking the belt to that 1 in public La4..I think its way past time. The workd is full of examples that show the benefits of cutting instead of leaving males intact

Latest posts