abortion?

Help Support CattleToday:

fulltimer52

Reaction score
Hello. I am now with my cows everyday, as I have moved home and do not commute to my "real" job. Anyway, I have an angus cow who had her second calf on Nov 26th. On Jan 28th, my bull was introduced due to "storage" problems. I figured all 19 cows were bred by now.

On Tuesday AM, he bred her... followed her around all day and her tail was extended. About a week ago her bag filled up like she was ready to calve again, and today her rear teat is dripping milk.

My father believes she aborted her calf and came back into heat. Any opinions?

Second, he feels we should send her out to the sale barn. She was our first cow purchase, and she is just coming 4 years old in June.

Thanks in advance for all the input.

On Tuesday AM, he bred her... followed her around all day and her tail was extended. About a week ago her bag filled up like she was ready to calve again, and today her rear teat is dripping milk.
I would think that her calf would still be on her - don't understand the dripping question.

My father believes she aborted her calf and came back into heat. Any opinions?
That's certainly a highly likely possiblity. She could be pulled down & began cycling much later than the others & hasn't settled yet due to poor body condition (ie stress) - but I would think you would have noted that in your post.

Since she just 2 months later than her last calf (assuming she is caught now); I'd kept an eye on her & see what develops. If she was already later than you'd like on her last calf (late Nov), you may want to ship her as she would then fall out of any reasonable calving season interval (I think many strive for a 60-90 day calf interval - I'm working toward that goal).