Abortion causes?

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
My dad just called and said one of my heifers that was due to calve Feb 28 appears to have aborted her calf. He said when he was feeding them he noticed her water sack hanging out. I assume from that, that she hasn't passed the fetus yet. I told him to get her in the corrall so that if/when she does pass it that I can freeze the fetus and send it to MU to see what happened. Any other precautions I need to take on this one or ways of finding out what happened?

The only thing that has changed is the cows diet. They had been on fescue pasture, but recently dad started feeding a little timothy hay plus a green wrapped afalfa bale every other day. That is the part that makes me curious. Our cows have never had "green wrapped" hay. I don't think the acidity of the fermented alfalfa would be strong enough to hurt anything, but who knows. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This one is especially a bummer because this was the only heifer I got to stick AI on the first try. :( With any luck at all, she'll come back in heat in a month or so, and I can AI her again. I think she'll get one more chance here. I know that goes against a lot of you guy's beliefs, but it this situation, I think it is warranted.

El_Putzo":2d5f794e said:
I think she'll get one more chance here. I know that goes against a lot of you guy's beliefs, but it this situation, I think it is warranted.
If it's the hfrs fault that she aborted you are right. She doesn't deserve one more chance. If it was your fault or someone in your familys fault she does deserve another chance.

No real recent experience in this area (thankfully), but various bacteria and viruses can cause abortions, as can moldy hay. Then of course neospora can also. And probably a lot of other things, such as physical trauma from being severely butted, etc.

Got the bloodwork back. No brucelosis, IBR, BVD, or neospora. I think they checked for a couple other things too. All were negative. If she'll breed back in a reasonable amount of time (i.e. for a fall calf) I'll keep her around. Otherwise she'll grow wheels.

thanks to those who responded.

Cattle are like people - sometimes we do not carry full term. Not our fault. I would never cull a heifer/cow that aborted - unless she had some other "strike" against her - like carrying a disease like you tested for.

el...,

A heifer is a big/long investment.

After the tests were ok...and no known trauma(which is difficult to be aware of). I would want to rule out some sort of congential abnormality with her reproductive track. The fetus was 6-1/5 -7 months.

If she is otherwise worth keeping I would pass it by my vet.

Latest posts